DORSET COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE KINGSTON MAURWARD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1154732
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
DORSET COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
Statutory Address:
KINGSTON MAURWARD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DORSET COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
KINGSTON MAURWARD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 06:07:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
DORSET COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
Statutory Address:
KINGSTON MAURWARD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stinsford
National Grid Reference:
SY 71544 91039

Details

STINSFORD KINGSTON MAURWARD

8/137 Kingston Maurward House (Dorset 26.1.56 College of Agriculture)

GV I

Country house, now used as College of Agriculture. Built c1717 for George Pitt, architect unknown. Altered 1794 for William Morton Pitt. Interior altered 1910-20. Ashlar stone walls, cladding earlier brick. Roofs concealed behind parapets. Early C20 panelled ashlar stacks set symmetrically. Double pile plan. 3 storeys and basement, the top storey being remodelling of original attic. On main front, the centre bay projects slightly, with pediment. In this bay 4 Corinthian pilasters extend from ground to second floor level. These support an enriched entablature with scrolled brackets supporting cornice modillions. Lower parts of pilasters concealed by early C20 porch, single storeyed, with balustraded parapet capped with urns. Doorway flanked by Tuscan pilasters supporting entablature. Each side of door, a round headed sash with glazing bars in moulded surround. Similar window above door. Each side of the porch, on ground floor, 3 segmental-headed sashes, with glazing bars. On first and second floors, 9 similar sashes - shorter on second floor. On this floor the 3 central sashes below pediment, divided by flat pilasters. At left end a C19 service range, with plastered walls and slate roof. 2 storeys and attic. Sashes with glazing bars, and C20 dormers in attic. This range encloses a courtyard infilled with a C20 block. Internally, main hall extends through 2 storeys. C18 enriched plaster ceiling. Walls have on ground floor, Corinthian and on first floor, Composite pilasters at intervals, supporting entablatures. Panelled doors in round arched openings with solid tympana. At each end an early C20 marble fireplace with very large console brackets supporting moulded mantels. Overmantels with swags, garlands and cherubs' heads - all very large in scale. Stone steps in porch lead up to hall. Project room, behind hall, has painted decoration on walls and ceiling. Enriched cornice and moulded panelled ceiling. Main stair, early C20 in C18 style, with cut string and turned balusters. Library has early C20 oak bookcases, divided by Ionic pilasters supporting entablature. Other rooms have enriched cornices, and C18 or early C19 marble fireplace surrounds. 2 fireplaces on first floor have painted tile insets in Arts and Crafts style. (RCHM Monument 4 Dorset Vol II. Hutchins, History of Dorset II 566. Oswald "Country Houses of Dorset")

Listing NGR: SY7154491039

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
106325
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 566
Oswald, A, Country Houses of Dorset, (1935)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17060/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].