- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NORHAM CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154811 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 05:36:09.
- Statutory Address:
- NORHAM CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NT 90647 47607
13/67 Norham Castle
Ruined castle of the bishops of Durham. Originally a motte-and-bailey castle of 1121 for Bishop Flambard. Rebuilt in stone c.1157 by Richard of Wolviston for Bishop Puiset. Of this period the keep and part of the masonry of walls and west gateway. C13 additions include the south wall of the outer ward and the great hall in the inner ward. The keep was extensively remodelled in 1422-25; finally much rebuilding, especially of the north wall, in 1513-15 for Bishop Ruthal. One of the turrets of south wall encased in Gothick cottage in the late C18 or early C19.
Inner ward with keep forming south-east corner. Outer ward with West Gate, and site of Sheep Gate in south curtain wall. Inner and outer moats.
Outer ward: large and quadrant-shaped on dramatic sloping site. West Gate in left-hand corner extensively altered C15 and C16 but the remains of the tunnel vault are C12. The barbican was added in the C15 and in front of it a stone causeway with a gap in the middle for a centrally-pivoted drawbridge. North wall has 3 casemates with cannon portholes. The south wall sub-structure only remains with parts of 13 or 14 arches which formed the base of the wall and were formerly buried in an embankment; also the lower courses of the Sheep Gate and'3 turrets. A 4th turret to the right of the sheep gate is covered by the Gothick cottage. The east wall is largely C12 but with a C16 turret.
Inner ward: of the gatehouse, great hall, great chamber and kitchen only the lower parts of the wall remain. They are against the north, east and west curtain walls. The keep is the most dramatic part of the castle. It is 84 x 60 ft. and c.90 ft. high. Most of the north wall has gone but the rest stands to full height. On the ground floor 3 tunnel-vaulted chambers, the vaults divided into bays by broad transverse ribs rising from flat pilasters; the bays lightly groined. On the first floor a very large round-arched recess. The west wall is largely a C15 rebuild and has a stone newel stair. Many C12, C13 and C15 window openings. Attached to south wall, lower courses of garderobe tower.
Norham Castle: D.O.E. : H.M.S.O. : 1966.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: NT9066147532
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Norham Castle, (1966)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.