DOVER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154890

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: DOVER HOUSE, EAST END

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154890 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 09:23:12.

Location

Statutory Address: DOVER HOUSE, EAST END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Northleach with Eastington

National Grid Reference: SP 11442 14524

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTHLEACH WITH EAST END SP 1114 EASTINGTON (north side), Northleach 8/65 Dover House II

House at end of row. Built c1619 under the will of William Dutton, extended C19. Limestone rubble, ashlar street front, short length of ashlar in left-hand return. Stone slate roof, corrugated asbestos to C19 extension at rear. Ashlar stacks. Formerly 'L'- shaped plan now rectangular plan. Small C19 extension. Two- storeys. Two-windowed facade to main road, all 12-pane sashes with horns. C19 six-panel door set back within semi-circular headed surround. Band and parapet above first floor windows. Left-hand return; C20 door with glazing bars within flat-chamfered 4-centred arched surround. Sixteen-pane sash left of door. Small 16-pane sash above door. Twenty-pane sash left. Sixteen-pane sash to upper floor of extension to left. Six-pane casement within blocking of room pitching door left. C19 four-panel door with upper panels glazed and C19 plank door to ground floor. Gable end stacks. Interior; intersecting moulded beams in room left of 4-centred arched doorway. History; once used as store for wool and cloth, then became the Lamb Inn and subsequently the Sherborne Arms. House formerly extended further left of present front, the additional bays were refronted in the early C19 in a similar way to the remaining 2 bays. This part of the house was dismantled and transported to America by Henry Ford in 1937. The house contained stencilled, probably C18 wall paintings. (Trans B.G.A.S. p 6 - 7 and 1939)

Listing NGR: SP1144214524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130503

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, (1939)

End of official listing