WARKWORTH HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1154938
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
WARKWORTH HOUSE HOTEL, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WARKWORTH HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:40:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
WARKWORTH HOUSE HOTEL, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Warkworth
National Grid Reference:
NU 24759 06143

Details

NU 2406 WARKWORTH BRIDGE STREET (West side)

21/252 Warkworth 10.1.53 House Hotel

GV II*

House, now hotel. 1822 for John Forster (date and initials on 2 rainwater heads) incorporating C18 fabric to rear. Squared stone of near-ashlar quality; rear elevation roughcast and cream-washed. Scottish slate roof on main part, Welsh slates on left part and 2-storey part of rear wing, synthetic blue slates on single-storey part of rear wing; 2 yellow brick stacks on rear roofslope.

Main part 3 storeys, 2 + 1 + 2 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill bands. Centre top-glazed door of 6 fielded panels under patterned fanlight, in surround with attached Tuscan columns and open-pedimented hood. 12-pane sash windows to lower floors with 6-pane sashes above. Moulded cornice. Parapet with moulded coping, end pilasters and pediment over centre bay. Coped gables with stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Old rainwater heads at each end of facade. Left 2-storey 3-bay part with sill bands, 3-centred carriage arch at left end and 12-pane sashes; moulded eaves cornice, coped left gable and rendered end stacks.

Rear elevation: Main part shows 1822 two-storey outshut built onto rear of C18 house; arched stair window holds 28-pane sash with intersecting head. Left projecting rear wing, partly 1-storey with paired and triple 12-pane sashes on inner return.

Interior: 6-panel door and shutters with beaded mouldings. Entrance hall has Greek key frieze and ceiling rose. Batek Bar (ground floor left) has floral cornice and ceiling with sunburst and harebell border. Games Room has old floral cornice. Stair and stairhead balustrade brought in 1822 from Brandenburgh House (residence of Queen Caroline); patterned wrought-iron balusters, moulded and wreathed handrail, carved tread ends. Stairhead has bucranium frieze and panelled plaster ceiling with Greek Key and floral patterns. Old lantern may be contemporary with stair. Rear wing has C18 segmental-arched fireplace.

Marble mantels from the Brandenburgh House, mentioned in the previous listing, have been removed and sold.

Outbuildings attached to rear wing are not of interest.

Listing NGR: NU2475906143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237143
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04915/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].