CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155283

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 06:36:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Woodsford

National Grid Reference: SY 76210 90569

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODSFORD

SY 79 SE

9/210 Church of Saint John the Baptist 26.1.56

GV II

Anglican parish church. C13 origin, largely rebuilt 1862-3, architect T H Wyatt. Rubble stone walls with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with coped gables, except to north aisle and vestry which are slated. Nave, north aisle of 2 bays, chancel with vestry on north, south porch, west tower. Tower - lower part C13, raised in C19, with saddleback top. String course below belfry. Twin lancets to belfry, with mullions in form of column. In stage below belfry, single lancets. Slit window in lower part of west wall. In south wall of nave, west of porch, a plain C13 lancet. Gabled porch has pointed arched opening of 2 orders, the inner order dying into jambs. Transept gable, immediately east of porch, cuts into porch gable. In south wall of transept, a 2-light window with plate tracery. South wall of chancel has 3 plain chamfered lancets. East window of 3 stepped lancets, under hoodmould which continues as string course. Vestry, north of chancel has 2 plain chamfered lancets. In north aisle wall, 2 pairs of chamfered lancets. In west wall, 2 lancets with circular window over. Internally, walls plastered. Chancel has trussed rafter and scissor braced roof. Blocked doorway in south wall. Chancel arch of 2 orders, with carved angel corbels. Nave has trussed rafter roof with additional upper collars. North arcade has circular column with moulded cap. Simple lean-to to roof to aisle. Tower arch of 2 orders. Re-set medieval piscina in transept. In tower, tile slit window in west wall has inner shouldered arch. Font, C19 in C12 style, with square bowl on circular base with shafts. All fittings C19 (RCHM Monument 1. Dorset Vol II).

Listing NGR: SY7621090569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106399

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing