- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ABBEY HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155304 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:46:37.
- Statutory Address:
- ABBEY HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Dorset (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 98902 06403
ST 9806 WITCHAMPTON VILLAGE
13/146 Abbey House
Manor House, possibly originally priest's house. Early C16, enlarged at rear c1860 and to east in 1914. Original range has brick walls with ornament in burnt headers, and stone dressings, on flint plinth. Tiled roof with stone eaves courses and coped gables. One brick stack at right end with battlemented cap. One right end with diagonally set shafts - one rising from eaves near centre of front, with 2 square shafts and one set diagonally. Originally of 3-room plan with screens passage. 2 storeys and attic. Moulded string course at first floor level. All windows with arched lights, stone mullions, lead lights, and hoodmoulds with shield stops. On ground floor, at left end, a pair of French doors in original window opening, - remains of 3-light window above doors. Right of this one 2-light and one 3-light mullioned window. Right of these 2 tall mullioned and transomed windows. On first floor, at left end, a 3-light window. Right of this a 2-light window with initials "W" and "R" on stops (for William Rolle, Rector 1505-21 (RCHM)). Small window under eaves. Below the stack a single light window. Right of this, two 2-light windows. Rear range c1860, forming double-pile plan. This in C18 style, with present entrance, and sashes with glazing bars. At right end a service range, dated 1914 in burnt headers, in style matching the original range. Internally, in original range, parlour, at left end, has moulded intersecting ceiling beams, - some missing. 4-centred arched stone fireplace, with early C17 carved oak overmantel. Right of this, the original screens passage, enlarged, with ceiling beam showing mortices for screen. Right of this the original hall, has C18 fireplace. Dining room at right end has deep chamfered ceiling beams and 4-centred arched stone fireplace. On first floor, parlour chamber has 4-centred moulded arched stone fireplace. On the rest of the first floor, roof of jointed cruck construction, with wind bracing suggests this originally one long room open to roof. Deep chamfered tie beams now in first floor ceiling. In rear wall, 4 centred arched opening with original door, to cupboard, possibly originally garderobe. C19 rear range has interior features in C18 style. Carved C18 fireplace reset in service range. Probably earliest domestic use of brick in Dorset. (R.C.H.M. Monument 3. Dorset Vol V. Hutchins. History of Dorset. III.478).
Listing NGR: ST9890206403
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975)
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 478
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing