ILES GREEN WITH WALL TO COURTYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155458

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: ILES GREEN WITH WALL TO COURTYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ILES GREEN WITH WALL TO COURTYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:27:31.

Location

Statutory Address: ILES GREEN WITH WALL TO COURTYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 92473 03465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 90 SW BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT FAR OAKRIDGE

7/44 Iles Green with wall to courtyard 28.6.60

II

Large detached house. Dated 1614; enlarged early C18. 1914 enlargement incorporating former barn to north west by Norman Jewson for Sir William Rothenstein. Further additions of c1930. Random rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate roof. South-east facing 2-storey with attic range; 2-storey link section to single-storey with attic former barn to north-west forming courtyard. Two-storey range to north east. South east front: 4-window fenestration to earliest part to right, mixture of 2 and 3-light, recessed chamfered and cavetto mullioned with hoodmoulds. Off-centre weatherboard-clad gabled porch; cellar doorway with timber lintel and plank door to left, 2-light cellar casement to right. Two-window 2-light recessed cavetto mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to C18 addition, left; central single- light to ground floor possibly in former door position. Three ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. Courtyard: chimney gable to rear of C17 house. Linking range formerly with 4-bay arcade to ground floor, space between circular rubble columns filled in 1930 alterations with leaded casements in rubble masonry. Four gabled roof dormers above have plasterwork decoration by Norman Jewson, wreaths containing: '1614', 'W R', 'A M R' and '1914' to each gable from left to right. Ridge-mounted rubble chimney with stone slate weatherings. Former barn projecting forward to left of link has large buttress with attached rainwater leadwork having 'W R' and '1914'. Inserted 2-light casements and 2 eaves-mounted hipped roof dormers. Later alteration to former outbuilding at south west end of barn. Wall enclosing courtyard has swept coping to gateway with simple stone piers; original timber gate replaced by wrought iron, approached by flight of semi- circular stone steps. North east side: panelled treatment to gable end of former barn forming 4-light casement to ground and upper floors. 1930 wing projects forward to left with continuous stone slate drip courses above timber casement fenestraton. North west side: central gabled porch with cambered arched doorway; plank door. Two hipped roof dormers. Interior: former barn extensively fitted out by Norman Jewson with his characterstic vertical board and cover strip panel-ling, plank doors having ironwork by Alfred Bucknell. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO9247303465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132600

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing