GROUP OF FOUR MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND CHANCEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155681
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF FOUR MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND CHANCEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF FOUR MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND CHANCEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 22:50:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF FOUR MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND CHANCEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipton
National Grid Reference:
SP 03710 18535

Details

SP 01 NW SHIPTON SHIPTON OLIFFE

5/103 Group of four monuments in the churchyard of the Church of St. Oswald, south of south transept and chancel GV II

Two chest tombs and two pedestal tombs. C18 and C19. 1) Chest tomb clm south of south transept to George Fletcher, died 1821, and Elizabeth his wife. Limestone. Moulded plinth with inscription panels either side (painted black presumably to imitate slatestone). Fluted marginal panels on south. Stepped and moulded pyramidal capping. Tomb lies on raised plinth, formerly bounded by cast-iron railing. 2) Apsidal ended chest tomb c3m south of the preceding tomb to Thomas Church of the Parish of Withington, died 1821, Mary his wife, and Thomas Freeman, died 1781. Limestone. Moulded plinth. Sunken inscription panels on sides. Inscription to Thomas Church on north side. Illegible inscripton on south. Foliate scrollwork set back either side. Illegible inscription on south side flanked by linked chain work incorporating shell and flower motifs. Fielded inscription panels at either end, hanging floral decoration set back either side of inscription at east end. Draped decoration in equivalent position at west end. 3) Pedestal tomb c4m south of the preceding tomb to Richard Freeman. C18. Limestone. Fielded inscription panel on north side. Stepped moulded capping. 4) Unidentified pedestal tomb c4m east of George Fletcher chest tomb. C18. Illegible inscription panel on west side with quadrant corners, egg and dart decoration to margin. Roundels at each corner. Projecting pilasters either side also decorated with small roundels. Frieze with hanging bellflower motif. Similar inscription panels, without egg and dart moulding on north side. Panel on east side with cross-shaped inscription panel. Plain fluted panels either side. Three floral roundels on frieze above. Capping with moulded top.

Listing NGR: SP0371018539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129208
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06948/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hanson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].