ELLENBOROUGH PARK HOTEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ELLENBOROUGH PARK HOTEL, SOUTHAM ROAD, SOUTHAM
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155737 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 07:27:56.
- Statutory Address:
- ELLENBOROUGH PARK HOTEL, SOUTHAM ROAD, SOUTHAM
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 97229 25350
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/11/2014
SO 92 NE
SOUTHAM A46 (west side) Ellenborough Park Hotel
(Formerly listed as The De la Bere Hotel, previously listed as Southam de la Bere House- Oriel School)
GV II* Former country house begun by Thomas Goodman (q.v. initials in spandrels of door to porch) c1500, completed by Sir John Huddleston, Junior, died 1547, possibly extended to south late C17, extended in Gothic and neo-Norman style 1833-1871 by Lord Ellenborough former Governor General of India (q.v. monument in Oxenton Church). Early ranges random squared and dressed limestone; C19 extensions and some refacing ashlar; stone slate roof; ashlar stacks. Complex plan with a hall forming the western side of the house, solar cross wing at right angles to the south; late C17 ranges to the south of the solar; C16 rectangular courtyard to north-west of the hall range; C19 extensions to the north and east. l½-2 storeys. West front: Great Hall at the centre with two tall 4-light stone-mullioned casements with king mullions, diamond leaded panes, heraldic glass and a continuous hood; projecting gabled 2-storey porch to the left with C19 two- light stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor blocking the former doorway; 3-light stone-mullioned casement above. C19 single-storey porch with pointed-arched entrance to the left; 4- light stone-mullioned casement with king mullion above. All casements to the west side of the hall with hollow-chamfered mullions and Tudor-arched heads. Three C19 two-light roof dormers with finials to the hall. Gable to solar (now known as the The Great Parlour) projects forwards to the right with 2-storey late Perpendicular bay window with Tudor glass medallions and battlemented parapet; C19 two-storey turret to the right; south wing, partly encased C19, projects forwards to the right with 4- light oriel window to the north facing gable; 3-light stone- mullioned casement and a 6-light oriel to the west-facing gable. Cl9 battlemented wall to the north of the Great Hall which links to a C19 four-stage Gothic style tower with battlemented parapet and Tudor-arched entrance; encased gable projects forwards to the left with C19 range at right angles to north linking up to a 3-stage Gothic tower with battlemented parapet. South-facing elevation retains some original openings including two stone-mullioned oriel windows one with a battlemented parapet. East-facing elevation retains some early and some C19 stone-mullioned casements; 4-stage neo-Norman keep-like tower projects forwards off-centre left with 2, 4 and 7-light windows with neo-Norman windows circular jamb shafts, single large blind round-headed arch on the east side reaching to the height of the fourth stage with the monogram 'E.E.' (Edward Ellenborough) at the top; parapet with Lombard frieze. North-facing elevation with small neo-Norman 1½ storey room projecting forwards at centre; gable projects forwards to the left with garage doors to the ground floor and a Decorated window with replaced mullion above; neo-Norman single-light window with gablet to the return; 3-stage Gothic tower with battlemented parapet at the north-west corner. Interior: hall formerly entered via moulded 4-centred arched doorway on the east side with the initials 'T.G.' (Thomas Goodman) in the spandrels; linenfold panelling and tiles from Hailes Abbey to the floor of porch concealing door. Some early linenfold panelling with foliate decoration incorporating a crest in the form of a unicorn's head at the south end of the hall, much of the remaining panelling may be C19 in date. Tudor-arched stone fireplace to the east wall with columns, enriched spandrels and brattished mantelpiece; partially blocked opening probably an earlier fireplace to the right; several blocked openings above formerly opening onto a first floor; gallery, probably C19 in date, at the north end; Tudor-arched stone fireplace at same level as gallery. Intersecting beams with roll mouldings to ceiling, possibly an Elizabethan insertion; part of a braced collar-beam roof remains above. The adjoining dining rooms, formerly the parlour range: two rooms with C17 panelling with dragon friezes, the smaller room contains a stone Tudor-arched fireplace flanked by engaged octagonal columns with enriched spandrels with carved wooden overmantel with cornice with guilloche and scrollwork decoration and triple-panelled frieze with heraldic emblem and inscription 'TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO' flanked by mannerist 'terms'; strapwork decoration to the flanking panels; carved sea beasts below. Stone Tudor-arched fireplace flanked by mannerist 'terms' in the adjoining room or Great Parlour with richly carved overmantel showing the arms of de la Bere impaling Huddleston, presumably dating from the marriage of Eleanor Huddleston to Kenard de la Bere c1554, mannerist 'terms' and blind arches either side. Bay window containing Tudor glass medallions including the arms or badges of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, the Tudor rose and the pomegranate. The adjoining room is also lined with C17 panelling with frieze decorated with angels. Small Tudor-arched stone fireplace flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters; overmantel with single large round-headed panel containing the de la Bere arms and helmet in high relief with a crest of eleven ostrich feathers. Early C18 open well staircase with turned balusters and ramped handrail, newels in form of a group of 4 balusters; panelled dado. The original courtyard shown on the Kip engraving is now filled in with later building but the close-studded timber-framing of the east range is visible on its west face, with the infill removed. Described by David Verey as one of the largest C16 houses to remain in the county. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; engraving by Kip in Atkyn's Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, 1712; and V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VIII, p10)
Listing NGR: SO9722725369
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Atkyn, R, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, (1712)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 10
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing