DOTLAND PARK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1155783
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
DOTLAND PARK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOTLAND PARK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 02:59:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOTLAND PARK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hexhamshire Low Quarter
National Grid Reference:
NY 93136 60213

Details

HEXHAMSHIRE LOW QUARTER DOTLAND PARK NY 96 SW

2/216 Dotland Park Farmhouse (formerly listed as Dotland Park) 20.10.52 II*

Hunting Lodge of Priors of Hexham, c.1500. Refenestrated and outshut built late C18/early C19, outshut heightened and other alterations 1907. Coursed roughly-squared stone with cut dressings; slate roof. South elevation 2 storeys, 4 irregular bays. Bay 2 doorway in late C19 wooden porch, and remains of 3 earlier arched doorways; 16-pane sash windows in raised tooled- and-margined surrounds (that on 1st floor bay 3 is 1907 insertion). Coped gables; stepped left end stack, right end stack rebuilt on old base. Left return shows several blocked windows including cinquefoil-headed light with arms of Prior Smithson in spandrels. Right return shows blocked chamfered light to attic.

Interior: in rear wall of original house, 2 windows of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights under square head with hoodmould, again with arms of Prior Smithson. 6-bay roof has tie-beam trusses with curved principals and collars, one (formerly 3) level of purlins and ridge.

The heraldry suggests the bunting lodge was built by Thomas Smithson (prior 1491-1524) although earlier medieval fabric may be incorporated. In 1654 it served as a Baptist meeting house, one of the earliest in the North of England.

Listing NGR: NY9313660213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240586
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].