THE OLD GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155819

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRANGE, LEOMINSTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155819 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:03:08.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRANGE, LEOMINSTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Dymock

National Grid Reference: SO 68910 31850

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DYMOCK OFF LEOMINSTER ROAD SO 63 SE (west side)

4/88 The Old Grange (formerly listed as part of The 2.10.54 Grange with two barns 80 yards to the west)

GV II

Large house. Mid C17, early C18, C19, 1896. Various brick bonds, brick-nogged timber-framed gables to entrance front, one roughly- squared stone section; tiled roof rear, stone slate front. Three- bay front, 6-bay side, 'L' plan, front 2 rooms deep, generally 2 storeys, with some attics. Nearly all windows mullion and transom. Entrance front: oldest part left, blank: vertical joint. Late C19 timber-framed porch, brick-nogged base, open doorway with close-studding over; covers studded, boarded 2-leaf door, rectangular stained-glass fanlight. Three-light window to right, rubbed brick arch, leaded lights, upper stained glass. Further change in brickwork, tall 4-light window. First floor two 2-light windows, 3-light set higher on right. C17 gable left, 2-pane sash cuts tie beam, 2 collars and 'V' struts above. To right 2 blank gables, weatherboard to tie beam, collar and 'V' struts centre, 2 collars right. Chimney in left valley, at slight angle, 2-diamond set flues with corbelled head (as all chimneys): similar right rear and single-flue on right return. Left return: front 2-bays brick: 3-light and 4-light windows ground floor, two 3-light above, traces of possibly rendered surrounds. Three-light casement in gabled dormer left. To left shallow canted section, brick right splay, 3-light windows with iron opening lights each floor, timber lintels with dummy 'V' jointed voussoirs, fleur-de-lys on keystone. Cogged oversailing course and shallow parapet above: similar dormer behind. To left blank stone section, plain plinth, moulded string course, finished brick crenellations. Left splay mixed brick and stone, windows as other splay, but no lintel to ground floor, plain timber with plaster fleur-de-lys in centre to first floor. Plain brick string first floor below that on flat section: 2 further strings above upper window; brick crenellations. Gable to main roof on left with chimney, 6 flues above; chimney with 4 at right side of splayed section. To left, single bay, ground floor late brick, 3-light window, iron opening light, below heavy timber lintel: Ionic column on corner on left. First floor 3- light window, cogged oversailing course, brick balustrade. Set back on left 2 further bays, two 2-light windows each floor, elliptical brick arches at ground floor, no lintels to first, plain brick string course between. Brick balustrade above, tiled roof behind. Interior: entrance hall, fielded dado panelling, bolection-moulded fireplace surround; scrolls either side cupboard door: six-panel doors. Stairs, possibly reset, turned newel and balusters, moulded handrail and string. Room to right: dado panelling, panelled shutters, heavy moulded ceiling beams. First floor: left front scratch plaster moulding adjoining ceiling beams: 2 scratch- moulded doors to rear; third room back on left ovolo moulding with 'V' grooves above and below to ceiling beams, bolection-moulded panelling on centre part of canted section. Cambered timber lintel with roll moulding and 'V' groove over in one room. Room on right tiles in fireplace surround with hunting scenes in sepia. Left section at front, 2 pairs purlins, square ridge. On site of earlier house: 3 bay section on left of entrance mid Cl?, enlarged on right and behind C18; right section of front and 2 right gables part of 1896 enlargement. Forms group with barn (q.v.). (The Rev. J.E. Gethyn-Jones: Dymock down the Ages, 1966; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; Kelly's Directory, 1914) )

Listing NGR: SO6891031850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 125906

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, J E G, Dymock down the Ages, (1966)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

End of official listing