CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1155865
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HINTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 22:03:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HINTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 59716 27547

Details

SU 52 NE BRAMDEAN HINTON PARK

5/23 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 5.12.55 (formerly listed under Hinton GV II* Ampner)

Parish Church. Saxon plan, some fabric, C13 chancel much restored early C19 and 1879 by C N Tripp. Squared flintwork, stone dressings, plain tile roof. Saxon plan of nave and chancel, with chancel rebuilt C13, all rebuilt C19 with late C19 S porch, NW vestry and W tower. Chancel mostly C19 with pair of long E lancets, 2 recut C13 lancets on side walls, and SW corner priests door and low set lancet. Nave rebuilt 1879 with 4 lancets to N, original S door reset as door to vestry, 3 lancets to S, and 2 to W end with trefoiled lancet between. Saxon NE corner survives with long and short quoins, and E of it a pilaster strip, with similar strip reset on S wall. S porch gabled with pointed arch and buttresses, and vestry in NW corner under outshot roof, with steps to crypt to E side. W tower has angle buttresses, and timber top stage in French style with steep hipped shingle roof with finial and weathervane at either end of ridge. Inside chancel recut C13 double piscina and sedilia, C17 panelling, reused, behind altar, C19 chancel arch and C18 roof with moulded ribs. N wall monuments: 1638 to a child Stewkeley, painted marble and alabaster with effigy in recess and elaborate Corinthian frame and pediment, 1820 to Lord Stawell and brasses, 1606 to William Stewkeley, 1638 to Thomas Stewkeley, 1642 to Sir Hugo Stewkeley, 1648 to Lady Elizabeth Stewkeley, 1667 Elizabeth Stewkeley. S wall monuments: 1601 to infant Thomas Stewkeley, painted marble effigy beneath arch with pilasters supporting cornice, 1719 to Sir Hugh Stewkeley restrained marble baroque design. On floor stone lid to vault and stone 1692 to Charles Stewkeley. Nave C19 apart from moved Saxon door to vestry, with straight jambs, long and short quoins and round arch with chamfered label. Door panelled oak, inscribed 'Nicholas Lacy gave this door February 1643'. S wall monuments: 1764 to Henry B Legge, white marble, large tablet with Ionic columns and pediment, and 2 monuments moved from Laverstoke, Hants: 1672 to Sir J Trott, grey and white marble tablet with garlands, 1679 to daughter Lady Katherine Stewkeley, possibly by John Bushnell, marble bust in niche with curtains and above pair of unusual urns. In vestry base of old font. 3 bells, 1610 and 2 of 1603. Grade II* by merit of memorials. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 322. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 294.

Listing NGR: SU6172227506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145364
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 322
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].