Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156083.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 08:38:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cotswold (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 11706 00060


SP 10 SW MAISEYHAMPTON CHURCH STREET (east side) 4/241 Meysey Hampton Church of St Mary the Virgin


Small Anglican Church. C13, consecrated in 1269, with alterations of C14 mainly to chancel, restored 1872-4 by James Brooks. Rubble stone partly coursed with small sloping buttresses to east and south ends, stone slate roof with coped verges arid cross finials. Mainly Early English, with some Decorated work. Cruciform with nave and chancel, north and south transepts and crossing tower, south porch, and late north vestry in different stone with catslide roof. Crossing tower of one stage, square with twin belfrey lancets on each face with sill band, string course above and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. Nave and transepts have single or twin lancets with string course below. Gabled porch in centre of south wall with Early English moulded archway. Chancel has three 2- light C14 windows on south side, one twin trefoil-head in arched surround nearest crossing, and two twin ogee-head in square moulded surrounds, that in centre cut short by projection of tomb recess in chancel. East window of 3 lights with 3 tiers of trefoils above and double border of ballflowers. Interior: Nave roof of 5 bays, restored and lowered probably in 1870s but reusing original medieval curved bracing to tie beams. Wagon roofs to transepts and chancel. Simple pointed-arch crossing with 4 triple stepped arches carried on angled piers with polygonal attached columns on inner faces. Shouldered arch above facing nave originally reached by stairway from nave into ringing chamber of tower. Chancel has restored tomb recess in north east corner possibly of c1310 with cusped cinquefoil canopy, ogee arch and shield panels to chest. On wall behind is a triple hagioscope originally affording view of chancel from side chapel since removed. On south side, 4 crocketed and pinnacleti canopies of C14 with piscina and credence and 3 sedilia, adjoined by ogee tomb recess which projects out at back of wall. Fragments of medieval stained glass set into several chancel windows including complete quatrefoil of St Michael in south east corner. North transept has several wall memorials including very large painted stone memorial to Dr James Vaulx shown with 2 wives as 3 half length portrait effigies and predella panels of kneeling children, of c1625. Lectern inscribed "Christian Jacketts 1622" with original chain for bible. Almsbox predating 1547 edict for all boxes to have 3 locks - this box has one. (D. Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1979.)------- -- ---------

Listing NGR: SP1170600060


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04537/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].