CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1156145
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 06:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Scole
National Grid Reference:
TM 15102 79045

Details

1. 5321 SCOLE NORWICH ROAD (south-east side) Scole Church of St Andrew TM 17 NE 25/1 7.12.59

II

2. Mainly early C14 and C15, with traces of pre-Conquest work. Much restored in 1874. Gutted by fire in 1963 when C15 hammer-beam roof of nave was destroyed. Consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower and C19 south porch. Tall unbuttressed west tower with 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and embattled parapet with chequer flushwork. Four bay south arcade with octagonal piers and double hollow-chamfered arches. Chancel arch destroyed in fire. Fragment of wall painting in niche in north wall. Piscina in south aisle. C15 octagonal font with angels on sides of bowl and four lions against stem. C15 foot of lectern, square with angle leaves. Building materials: flint with stone dressings, new black glazed pantile roof.

Listing NGR: TM1510279045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
225995
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16596/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].