OTTERBURN TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156191
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
OTTERBURN TOWER, A 696

Map

Ordnance survey map of OTTERBURN TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 22:20:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
OTTERBURN TOWER, A 696

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Otterburn
National Grid Reference:
NY 88769 93155

Details

OTTERBURN A 696 NY 89 SE (North side)

25/28 Otterburn Tower

GV II

Country house, now hotel. After 1830 for Mr. James incorporating the masonry of an C18 house which may in turn contain earlier work. Extended to rear 1904 by F.W. Rich for Howard Pease. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs. Castellated Tudor style. Complex and irregular plan.

Front has large castellated porch left of centre, with Tudor-arched entry and shields with crests. Large tower to left has C18 masonry; 3 storeys with 3-light mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows. Two-storey dining room section to right of porch is also older masonry; its windows are early C20 casements, a 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window on ground floor, two 2-light mullioned windows above. Irregular 4-bay section to right has one- and 2-light windows. All Victorian windows have original 8-pane sashes in each light. End sections have corbel tables with small close-set rounded corbels. Centre section has parapet projecting on broach chamfer. Battlements with many higher corner turrets projecting qqbroad double chamfer. Gabled roofs with tall corniced ridge and end stacks.

To rear additions of 1904: to right a castellated tower with boldly concave coping and elegantly-curved water spouts; to left a double-span section with 16-pane sashes and steeply-pitched roofs.

Interior: mainly of 1904. Dining room has panelling, a large wood fireplace with the Pease crest in the overmantel and 4 stained-glass roundels. Drawing room has an older marble fireplace, brought from elsewhere, with paired Ionic columns and frieze with the She-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus. Library has large Inglenook fireplace with segmental arch. 5 painted panels above depicting scenes from the Battle of 0tterburn above; finely-detailed joggled lintel to fireplace.

Listing NGR: NY8876993155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239688
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].