CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156241 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 13:15:09.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Much Marcle
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 65708 32746
SO 63 SE; 8/89
MUCH MARCLE CP, MUCH MARCLE
Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. C13 to C15, restored 1876 - 8. Coursed sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings with tiled roofs and lead roofs to aisles. Four-bay arcaded and aisled nave separated from chancel by central tower; north chapel and C19 vestry attached to chancel; south porch to nave.
Nave: 4-light C15 west window with transom in 2-centred head with label and stops; C13 west doorway in 2-centred double chamfered arch; small lancet to west end of south aisle and small square-headed light to north aisle; four lancets to each side of clerestory; three C14 north aisle windows have two lights with cinquefoil heads under 2-centred arches; C15 east window of south side of south aisle has three trefoil-headed lights under a 2-centred head with label, restored 3-light window with intersecting tracery to east of south porch and to its west a 2-light cinquefoiled window like those in north aisle. Tower is late C15 of dressed sandstone in three stages with crenellated parapet, two waterspouts to north and south faces, angle buttresses to east corners, bell-chamber with 2-light openings and trefoiled heads to each face; small trefoiled light to second stage, one to each face; first stage has trefoil-headed light to north and south each under label with Tudor arch profile; ground floor has cambered moulded label over two cinquefoil-headed lights. Late C19 vestry has central rear stack, two trefoiled lights and a shouldered entrance. North chapel has heavily restored north wall with central buttress and a restored cinquefoiled 2-light window to the west; its east window and general massing forms a pair with those of the chancel when viewed from the east: two late C13 matching 3-light windows with 2-centred arches and labels separated by a central buttress and each flanked by an outer buttress; both chancel and north chapel roofs have a stone cross at their east apices. The south wall of the chancel has a large C15 window with three trefoil-headed lights and to the left a 2-light late C13 or early C14 trefoiled window over an early C18 priests' door with a segmental pediment, moulded architrave and scrolled brackets. South porch has one early C14 trefoiled ogee-headed opening in the west and east walls, a moulded entrance arch and angle buttresses; the roof trusses are late C19. The south door is set in a 2-centred arch with fillet mouldings.
INTERIOR: C19 nave and chancel roofs, respectively crown-post and wagon. Chancel arch and west tower arch are 2-centred with two moulded orders and concave chamfers. The chancel has c1700 communion rails with turned balusters; the exquisite mid-C14 altar tomb and effigy of Blanche Mortimer, wife of Sir Peter Grandison has canted chest and coved canopy with drapery spilling over the cinquefoiled panels of the chest. North chapel is separated from chancel by a cylindrical column and iron railings and curtains. Two chest tombs with effigies: one c1400 and the other for Sir John Kyrle died 1650 and several marble C19 wall monuments. Stained glass by C E Kempe in chancel and north chapel, c1877-89. Nave has C13 circular piers and chamfered arches; the capitals are richly carved, some with foliage and heads. In the south wall of the south aisle is a C13 piscina with three pointed arches and a square drain. Font is C13 with tapering bowl surrounded by three raised bands as if derived from a wooden, band-reinforced tub font. In north arcade C14 oak effigy of bearded man.
Listing NGR: SO6569732745
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 127-130
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing