CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156360

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:49:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Kings Worthy

National Grid Reference: SU 49290 32340

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 4932 KINGS WORTHY LONDON ROAD

12/19 Church of St Mary 5.12.55 GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 in origin, C15 tower and windows, rebuilt and extended 1864 by J Colson and later. Rubble flint with different types of limestone dressings, old plain tile and leaded roofs. Plan of medieval chancel, nave, S aisle and W tower, chancel rebuilt C19 and polygonal vestry added to N and Later S chapel built Chancel has C19 Perp. 3-light E window with 3 panels of tracery below, and kneelered gable. Chapel has 3-light Perp E window, diagonal SE buttress and stone parapet. N chancel wall has C19 2-light Perp window and NE octagonal, pointed roofed vestry, with shoulder-arched door, lancets, and medieval style stone chimney. S chapel wall has 2 reused C15 2-light Perp windows either side of reused C13 Decorated 3-light windows, and crennelated parapet with lions head corbels. S aisle wall has stepped buttress near E and 3 restored C16 2-light square headed cinquefoiled windows. N nave wall has 3 C19 2-light trefoiled windows with stepped buttresses between. C15 W tower has reused restored late C12 W round-headed doorway of 2 orders with keeled rolls to each continued down jambs and above C16 2-light cinquefoiled window with string course above and on upper stages on each face squared headed light except to N and S in belfry which have 2-light C16 square headed windows. Inside chancel E window has black marble nook shafts. Arcade of 2 4-centred moulded arches to S with tomb chest beneath decorated with 4 cusped quatrefoils containing shields. C15 brass inscription in corner. Corbelled pointed chancel arch. Nave S arcade of 4 2-orderd 4-centres arches on octagonal piers. Splayed rear arches to N. Tower arch c.1300, pointed of 2 chamfered orders with imposts but hits wall above springing. S aisle has splayed rear arches. Font C14 octagonal with carved sides of quatrefoils with shields or circles inside, stem has cinquefoiled panels, and it stands on base of C12 font. N wall has royal coat of arms 'GR 1774' and sarcophagus monument 1819 to Rev George Armstrong. Floor slab 1776 to Rob Carnell. In aisle, monuments: 1767 to Rev John Imber; 1819 to Rev Swanton; 1826 to Rev William Short; 1841 Mary Brereton: and a solid armorial board.

Listing NGR: SU4938532514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 145714

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing