Former cottage to rear of No 100 (Job's Farm)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156361
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1990
Statutory Address:
Former cottage to rear of No 100 (Job's Farm), Sandy Lane, Farnborough

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former cottage to rear of No 100 (Job's Farm)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 14:01:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Former cottage to rear of No 100 (Job's Farm), Sandy Lane, Farnborough

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Rushmoor (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 84960 57244

Details

SU8496057244

FARNBOROUGH SANDY LANE Former cottage to rear of No 100 (Job's Farm)

10-JAN-1990 II A C18 three-bay end chimney stack cottage with hipped roof. Minor C20 alterations.

MATERIALS: Timber framed with later brick infill. In 2010 the part corrugated roof was part covered in plastic sheet. External brick stack at the west end. The brickwork to the central bay, front and rear, is in Flemish bond, the remainder in stretcher bond.

EXTERIOR: The front (south) elevation has a C19 plank door and two-light four-pane wood casement window in the west bay, and a casement window frame in each of the other bays. At the rear the right bay of the cottage is of rebuilt brick.

INTERIOR: The bays are divided by irregularly shaped tie-beams with heavy straight braces to principal rafters forming a partition with exposed studding in the plastered walls to the middle bay and above the tie-beam in the east end bay. There are also some plastered wattle partition walls and the remnants of a lath ceiling at purlin height in places. The C18, through-purlin roof structure employs poles as purlins and early light scantling rafters largely survive. In the west end bay is a fireplace with timber bressumer on brick piers and a bread oven.The cottage has a newly-laid cement floor.

HISTORY: The cottage is shown on the enclosure award map of 1855 and the Tithe map of 1844, and the construction of the building indicates that it had its origins in the C18. The cottage was built within an enclosure on the southern edge of Hawley Common, and appears to have been one of a number of such buildings within their own enclosures parcelled off from the Common. The cottage is associated by name with Job's Farm, although the 1888 map shows that Job's Farm was some 170m to the south-west. It is possible that the cottage originated as either a farm workers' cottage associated with Job's Farm, or as the dwelling of an independent subsistence farmer dependent on the Common for a living. In the late C20 the cottage was used as a small museum by the former owner, then for storage when a lean-to at the west and one at the east end, depicted on the 1888 map, were removed.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Former Cottage to the rear of Job's Farm is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: this C18 cottage retains a significant amount of original fabric and plan form. * Historic interest: as a rare little-altered survival that illustrates the life of commoners and local and national agricultural demography.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
137899
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].