COWSHED AT MANOR FARM APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156736

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Mar-2000

Statutory Address: COWSHED AT MANOR FARM APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, SOUTHROP VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COWSHED AT MANOR FARM APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 05:30:53.

Location

Statutory Address: COWSHED AT MANOR FARM APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, SOUTHROP VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Southrop

National Grid Reference: SP 20144 03403

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 1903-2003 SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE

1373/14/221 Cowshed at Manor Farm approximately 30m West 23.01.1952 of Church of St Peter

GV II

Cowshed. 1844-7. Coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and quoins; Welsh slate roof. Wide-span (53 feet) rectangular plan, lofted at N end. Gabled to north and south ends, stone-coped with ball finials. North facade dominated by wide central round-arched opening with similar arch, glazed above transom, to opening set one bay back within the interior. Vermiculated quoins and cow's head keystone to outer arch, with circular louvred vent set centrally in gable above. Plain surounds and bracketed sills to first-floor casements and ground-floor hit-and-miss ventilators. South gable has similar arch to window above small mucking-out doorway with timber lintel below. Mid C20 fenestration to sides. Interior has wide-span king post roof with outer struts and bracing. Plank sliding doors with inner pedestrian door from inner porch to cowshed, the porch having stairs to first-floor gallery and doorways to flanmking feed stores. Projecting eastwards from the south end of the east wall, and adjacent to a lean-to with loose boxes, is a single-storey range of pigsties with timber lintels over south-facing doors. HISTORY: the exact original use of this distinctive and most unusual building, whether for fatstock or draught oxen, is unclear, although it clearly relates to the 'High Farming' period of English Agriculture underway from the 1840s. The farmstead belonged to Wadham College, Oxford, between 1612 and 1926. The farm comprised 311 acres in 1840, the adjacent barn dating from at least the early C18. This building was built for C Royd Smith, who bought part of the estate in 1842, lived at the Manor House and sold his rights back to Wadham College in 1857-8.

(Manor Farm, Southrop; Historical Report by Astam GBC Consultancy, Gloucester, 1999)



Listing NGR: SP2014403403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127469

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing