OSBERTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1156774
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
OSBERTON HALL, RETFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OSBERTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 19:01:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
OSBERTON HALL, RETFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 62702 79893

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2016.

SK 67 NW 4/123

WORKSOP, RETFORD ROAD (north side), Osberton Hall

13.2.67

G.V.

II*

Country house. C18, remodelled by William Wilkins, 1806, for F. F. Foljambe; top floor to service wing by A. Poynter, 1848; porte cochere, west wing, and remodelling of interior, 1872-1880 by William Burn and John MacVicar Anderson for F. G. Foljambe; alterations to service wing by G. M. T. Foljambe c.1970. Brick, stuccoed, with hipped slate roofs. Ashlar dressings; first floor and sill bands, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and plain parapet. 2 storeys plus attics, 7 bays. Main south west front has 2 facades; house, to right has symmetrical front with central porte cochere with 2 pairs of Doric columns, 2 pairs of flanking clustered pilasters, and antae framing doorway with moulded eared architrave and 2 leaf panelled door, flanked by single plain sashes with bracketed sills and eared architraves. Flanked again by 2 plain sashes with bracketed sills, eared architraves, pulvinated friezes and hoods. Above, projecting central bay containing central French window, flanked by single narrow plain sashes, and beyond, 2 further plain sashes, all with eared architraves with keystones. Above again, moulded pediment with Diocletian window with keystone. North west wing, to left, has central canted 2 storey bay window with 3 plain sashes on each floor, those on ground floor with pulvinated friezes and hoods, those above with projecting keystones. To right, canted extruded corner containing single French window, flanked to right by single plain sash; above, single plain sash and to its left, a smaller plain sash; above again, 3 pedimented dormers each witha glazing bar sash. North west end has 2 storey canted bay window to right, and 4 plain sashes on each floor; above, single gabled dormer. Rear elevation has to right, projecting canted 2 storey bay window and 10 plain sashes; above, 12 plain sashes, and above again, 8 gabled dormers. Service wing to south east, coursed squared rubble; top floor removed and length reduced c.1970. 2 storeys, 4 bays, one plain and 2 glazing bar sashes, and to their right, ashlar doorcase with rebated panels; above, 4 glazing bar sashes and single roof stack. In return angle, C20 flat roofed porch, coursed squared rubble with parapet; 2 glazing bar sashes and half glazed door. At rear canted 2 storey bay window and 6 plain sashes; above, 5 plain sashes. INTERIOR: House has exceptionally well preserved interior, c.1880. Entrance hall has 2 niches containing timber figures. Other rooms have moulded cornices and architraves and Classical style fireplaces, some with marble surrounds and kerbs. Galleried 2 storey hall has moulded architraves, dentillated cornice, and coffered soffit to gallery; above, coffered ceiling with coved rectangular light well with Classical ornament. Hall has elliptical headed niches and fitted oak display cases of birds. South-west wall has moulded marble fireplace and kerb with large mahogany surround with heraldic beasts carrying shields and lintel with carved panels; cornice with egg and dart ornament. At south east end, stairwell with modillioned lintel and 5 Ionic pilasters, containing panelled oak open well staircase with panelled square newels, carved and turned balusters and ball finials. Above, 3 pairs of cabled Ionic piers and 3 clustered matching pilasters, supporting coffered ceiling with dentillated cornice and oval domed top light with petal glazing. Gallery has balustrade matching stairs, 3 doors and at north-west end, central organ case flanked by single round headed doorways. Dining room has moulded cornice with Classical ornament and grisaille panels; south-west wall has central marble fireplace with elaborate curved brackets and relief panels, flanked by single niches containing busts on herms. South-east wall has segmental headed blind arch with impost band, moulded soffit and hood mould. Library has moulded and dentillated cornice, and is fully fitted with oak bookcases with curved brackets to deep cornices, containing original C19 volumes. South-west wall has central marble fireplace and kerb with panelled oak surround and mantelshelf in Classical style. Drawing room has deep plaster frieze and modillioned cornice, and panelled Adam style ceiling with central round panel flanked by single rectangular panels with figures. North-east wall has central Classical style marble fireplace with paired, cabled Corinthian piers, panelled frieze and lintel and deep cornice. Above, carved and gilt overmantel in C19 Rococo style. Sources: Pevsner, H. A. Johnson (Thoroton Society), G. M. T. Foljambe.

Listing NGR: SK6270279893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241332
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].