CHURCH OF ST MUNGO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157154
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MUNGO, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MUNGO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 14:37:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MUNGO, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Simonburn
National Grid Reference:
NY 87087 73564

Details

SIMONBURN THE GREEN NY 8773 (West side, off) 19/138 Church of 15/4/69 St. Mungo II*

Parish church. C13; aisles rebuilt 1763 by Robert and William Newton; chancel rebuilt 1863-4 by Anthony Salvin; nave and aisles restored and re-fenestrated and porch added 1875-7 by R.J. Johnson. Squared and dressed sandstone; graduated green slate roofs. Aisled nave with north porch; chancel. Early English with C19 alterations in same style.

4-bay nave has 5-light plate-tracery west window flanked by C13 buttresses; gabled west bellcote with twin openings; steep roof. Buttressed aisles with fragments of C13 chamfered plinth have grouped lancets and low pent roofs. Pointed 1877 north aisle doorway. 3-bay chancel: lower part of north wall and western part of south wall are medieval; restored buttresses with chamfered bases and gablets; 4 lancets, re-cut Priest's door and 2-light low-side window with stepped sill strings and continuous hoodmould on south; 2 lancets on north; angle-buttressed east end with 3 stepped lancets; steeply-pitched roof. Tall gabled porch has elaborate pointed doorway of 3 orders with colonnettes; steep roof.

Interior: 3 eastern bays of nave slope down to chancel. Nave arcade (possibly reconstructed c.1877) has 4 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal piers with moulded bases and hollow-chamfered capitals. Similar chancel arch partly rebuilt in 1877. Aisle windows have splayed rear arches on colonnettes. Restored trefoil-headed double piscina on south chancel wall.

Fittings, monuments and stained glass. Early C18 vase-shaped stone font and late C19 octagonal stone font in nave. Fragments of monument to Rev. Cuthbert Ridley died 1637 ( 3 kneeling figures and a recumbent child) at east end of south aisle. 1854 Allgood monument with carved angel by M. Noble on north aisle wall. Aedicular monument to Rev. Major Allgood died 1696 on north chancel wall. Several worn late C17-early C18 floor monuments in chancel. Several carved stone fragments including part of a Saxon cross shaft set on inner walls of porch. 1877 east window and several aisle windows by C.E. Kempe.

(Rev. C.D. Ward Davis, The Great Parish of Simonburn, 1972)

Listing NGR: NY8708773564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240822
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Davie, Reverend C D Ward , The Great Parish of Simonburn, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12989/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].