Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157173

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: OLD ARLESFORD HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of OLD ARLESFORD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2019 at 17:22:08.


Statutory Address: OLD ARLESFORD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Old Alresford

National Grid Reference: SU 58885 33674



8/44 Old Alresford House


Middle sized country house. 1749-51 by William Jones for Admiral Lord Rodney. Brick with Bath stone dressings and slated roofs. 3 storeys and basement, 7 bays with slightly projecting centre 3 bays and single bay flanking wings at either end with single storey on basement service wings either side in front forming courtyard. Stone string courses at ground floor, ground floor cill level and 2nd floor level, to centre 5 bays, and 2nd floor cornice to flank- ing bays, tall parapet with coping and bracketed pediment to centre 3 bays. Flight of 9 stone steps to central 6 panel door in doorcase with arched radiating fanlight, in 1760's framed with porch of 2 fluted Tower of the Winds columns and pilasters supporting entablature with bucrania frieze. Either side a closely spaced sash then a widely spaced sash in the outer 2 bays, and the same arrange holds on the other floors. Ground and 1st floor have 12-pane sashes, 2nd floor 6-paned, all with rubbed brick arches. Inside plan form of central saloon, now morning room, flanked by dining and drawing rooms and entrance hall flanked by main and service stairs. In morning room original rococo plaster ceiling, with central panel of eagle discharging thunderbolts and corner medallions of the seasons. Some C18 foreplaces and Regency ceilings. In E service wing Chapel and sitting room decorated in neo- classical trompe l'oeil by Robert Jackson after designs by Annigoni. House stands at top of park laid out by Richard Woods in 1764 with lawn and ha-ha in front of house and flanking walls of beech and yew framing view down to Alresford Pond.

Listing NGR: SU5876034222


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 145203

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,

End of official listing