Church of St Alkelda


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Alkelda, Church Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157303.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 22:58:06.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Alkelda, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Craven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 81151 64084


SD 8064-8164 12/11

GIGGLESWICK CHURCH STREET (north side) Church of St Alkelda


GV I Parish church. Late C14/early C15 with mid-C15 tower. Restored 1890-92 by Paley and Austin. Squared stone, stone dressings, stone slate and lead roof. Perpendicular style. South porch, three stage west tower, five bay nave, north and south aisles, one bay north and south side chapels, one bay chancel. Gabled south entrance porch has double chamfered surround, basket arch and hoodmould with spiral stops; diagonal buttresses. Double chamfered segmental pointed arch to nave entrance plank door and strap hinges.

Tower: west entrance has basket arch and hoodmould; trefoil heads to three-light window above, rectilinear tracery. Second stage string course and single light chamfered window with trefoil head. Deeply chamfered trefoil headed louvred window to bell stage. Gargoyle; embattled parapet; crocketted finials. Diagonal buttresses and projecting stair turret on south side; clock-face on east side.

Nave: four two-light windows and hoodmoulds to clerestory and two similar windows closely spaced at east end of 1890-92; parapet. Side aisles have three-light windows with hoodmoulds; parapet. Taller, former north chapel (now houses organ) has three-light window and south chapel has two similar windows and double chamfered segmental pointed arched entrance with sundial and gnomon in parapet above. One bay chancel is lower than nave and has tall east window of six lights with trefoil heads and hoodmould. Gable end parapet of 1890-92.

Interior: octagonal shafts to pillars in north and south arcades, pointed arches; base of two pillars formed from reused Romanesque capitals. Roof of 1890-92. Alms box dated 1684 and inscribed 'Remember the Pore' on pillar in south arcade. Octagonal base to font, early C15. Formerly three-now two-decker pulpit and reading desk, both of 1680. Brass candelabra of 1718 in nave. South wall: plaster tablet to Richard Frankland, (1698), non-conformist founder of Rathmell Academy, now College Fold, Rathmell (q.v). North wall: marble memorial by Leyland and Bromley, Halifax, to George Birbeck (1776-1841) founder of Mechanics' Institutes. Chancel: oak communion rail with bobbin balusters of c1675.

Listing NGR: SD8115464085


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Shuffrey, W A , The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven, (1914), 183-204


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/14931/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Holliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].