This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1157381



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Petersfield

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141394

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


141394 847/3/113 THE SQUARE 29-JUL-49 (South side) CHURCH OF ST PETER


THE SQUARE 1. 1501 (South Side) Church of St Peter SU 7423 3/113 29.7.49.


2. Church begun second quarter of C12, then cruciform with crossing tower. Tower not complete. Transepts extended to form wide aisles later in C12. These aisles embrace central West Tower. Chancel largely by Sir Arthur Blomfield 1873 and North porch also by Blomfield, 1885. Chapel, at East end of South aisle, coursed small rubble with herringbone flint bands. South aisle flush random rubble with freestone dressings; chancel similar. South aisle doorway C12 with roll moulding and nook shafts with waterleaf capitals. Battlements to aisles and to tower whose two lower, C12 stages are of random rubble and two upper, Perpendicular stages of coursed freestone. High pitched nave roof by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Many flat buttresses. Inside 4-bay nave has round piers with scalloped capitals, those of South aisle restored and squared. Perpendicular North aisle windows. Paired clerestory windows by Blomfield. Chancel arch and screen wall above was inner wall, of original crossing tower. Very richly ornamented. Many-chamfered chancel arch with roll, billet and chevron mouldings, and nook-shafts with waterleaf capitals. Second stage of this wall abuts on gable of chancel in centre, but since chancel is only of 1 storey, side windows of this stage and window of upper stage are external. At clerestory level 3 arches with rich mouldings, continuous abacus, many nook shafts and carved diaper work in spandrels. Single, round arched window, with single shafts, in attic stage. Restorations to South aisle and roof 1963 by Thomas Ford after damage by fire in 1962. Imposing monuments to Jolliffe family in lower stage of tower, especially one to George Jolliffe, killed on the "Bellerophon" at Aboukir Bay. Tombstone to John Small, the Father of English Cricket, in churchyard.

Forms a group with The Church Art Studio, Nos 22 and 23 Church Path.

Listing NGR: SU7462323210

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 74648 23187


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 04:22:36.

End of official listing