This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UPPER HOUSE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPPER HOUSE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1157429

Location

UPPER HOUSE FARMHOUSE, KINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Eardisley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 150631

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EARDISLEY CP

KINGTON ROAD (east side)

SO 3049 - 3149 7/76 19.8.53

Upper House Farmhouse

GV II*

Farmhouse. Probable C15 origins, altered and extended circa 1600 with further mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with rendered and painted brick infill on rubble base, partly roughcast with stone-tiled roofs laid in diminishing courses. Original central range of probably three framed bays aligned north/south consisting of a hall with a screens passage at the south end and a solar at the-north end. Circa 1600 chimney was added on the west side with two diagonal brick shafts and an upper floor was inserted. Also added was a three-bay parallel west range (which has a later external rubble chimney with a brick stack at its north end), a three-bay south cross- wing with an external rubble chimney on its south side (this wing may replace an earlier service wing) and also a north-east wing of two and a half bays, the eastern half-bay being a chimney bay, and which has a lean-to' outshut with a catslide roof on its north side. Mainly two storeys and cellar. Framing: original part has close-set studding, three rows from sill to wall-plate and a collar and tie-beam truss at the north end with close-set struts beneath the collar and a V-strut above. Elsewhere four or five rows of square and/or rectangular panels from sill to wall-plate and some solid upper corner braces. Mainly collar and tie-beam trusses with struts. South wing has tie-beam truss with raking struts at rear. West range has a jettied first floor on the west side and at the north end with pendant ball finials beneath the end and two intermediate posts. The first floor of the south wing is also jettied on shaped brackets at the west end. West front elevation: west range to left has a pair of ground floor windows and two first floor windows; all are of three lights and have moulded architraves. There is also a cellar window with a cambered brick head in the rubble base. At the southern end is a segmental timber archway leading to the main entrance which has half-glazed double doors and is approached by a flight of brick steps with an iron hand- rail. In the angle with the south wing is a 2-light ground floor casement. The west gable end of the south cross-wing to the right has a 3-light first floor casement with a plank weathering. The north gable end of the original range has a ground floor cavetto-mullioned window of five lights with a moulded head and sill; there is a similar window of four lights in the angle with the north-east wing. Also the north side of the north-east wing has a large timber-framed gabled dormer which is jettied on shaped brackets with pendant finials beneath the end posts. It has scalloped bargeboards and above the roof truss collar is a small coffin-shaped window. Interior: original hall recorded to have a central roof truss with arch-braced collar and a door- way at the west end of the screens passage with original moulded jambs (head has been removed). The passage has an open-timbered ceiling supporting a gallery, now incorporated with the inserted first floor. The north wall of the hall has an original doorway with a four-centred head and sunk spandrels. In the C17 chimney is set a C14 stone with a cusped traceried head. Main ceiling beams are exposed and chamfered. A first floor room has some C17 panelling. At the head of the staircase an octagonal newel post with a finial survives. (RCHM, III, p 53, item 5; BoE, p 120).

Listing NGR: SO3104549707

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 53
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 120

National Grid Reference: SO3104549707

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 10:33:25.

End of official listing