CARR HEAD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157455

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: CARR HEAD HALL, CARR HEAD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARR HEAD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 18:06:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CARR HEAD HALL, CARR HEAD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Cowling

National Grid Reference: SD 97500 44277

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 94 SE COWLING CARR HEAD ROAD 5/35 10.9.54 Carr Head Hall (formerly listed as Carr Head) GV II*

Mansion, probably mid C18 enlarged later C18, then refurbished 1851 and slightly altered early C20. Hammer dressed stone and hipped slate roof, with some ashlar work. Two storeys. The oldest part appears to be the south front, now the garden front, of 5 bays. This has a plinth and plat band, cornice and rusticated quoins. The tall windows have architraves and are sashed with all glazing bars. The central doorway has a Doric doorcase with pilasters, pediment, and rosettes between triglyphs. The east front is of 5 bays and is similarly detailed except that the windows have plain stone surrounds, and the central 3 bays are canted out. The north front, probably early C20, has blocked surrounds to the windows and a Doric porch, distyle in antis. Inside 3 periods may be distinguished. To the later C18 probably belong the former hall, with doors in the style of Adam, and the central staircase, which has a small domed skylight decorated with husks. The cantilevered stone stair has an ornamental iron balustrade. The remaining rooms of the ground floor have simple classical decoration probably dating from 1851. On the first floor all 3 rooms of the south front retain lavish decoration from the first build. The central lobby has a small but rich plaster ceiling in the style of the 1730s above an Ionic modillion cornice. This has an eagle in central roundel and a cove decorated with Roman busts, cherubs, trumpets and palm leaves. The south-east bedroom has a cornice supported by 2 Corinthian pilasters either side of the chimneypiece, which has a scrolled and eared overmantel with an overhanging garland. The south-west bedroom has a similar arrangement, but the detail is Doric, with bucrania in the frieze. The overmantel is shouldered, flanked by husks and surmounted by a shell which harbours another ox skull. The house thus preserves in part a small mansion of mid C18 of considerable interest.

Listing NGR: SD9750044277

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323561

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing