CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157458
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, A27

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 15:12:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, A27

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Chilworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 40650 18773

Details

CHILWORTH A27 SU 41 NW 8/2 Church of St Denys

II Parish church. 1812, completed by 1820, on site and having bells of older church dating back possibly to C12. Brick, stuccoed on stone plinth, slate roof. Plan of short chancel with little transepts, and later N vestry, to aisleless nave with squat W tower incorporating porch. Chancel has E 5-light slender Perp. window. Tall diagonal buttresses at corners and to ends of transepts, having panelled sides and top raised to form 4 gables. Coupled pointed lancets to transepts. 4 bay nave with pointed lancets and short stepped buttresses at W end. Walls have deep weathering mouldings at eaves and cill level, plain stone plinth. Tower has crenellated parapet, narrow openings to bell stage, string courses, short buttresses on corners. W face has plain doorway with 4- centred chamfered arch, above band with arcaded panels and cusping, pointed coupled lancet window on bell-stage, with hoodmould. Parapet taller in centre. Inside chief feature is the plaster lierne vaulting. In chancel it rests on slender attached octagonal shafts, with closely spaced ribs, rising to foliated boss. Either side of E window are original text boards. Delicate wrought iron communion rail. Vaulting in nave has shafts shortened on carved corbels. Again closely spaced ribs and foliated bosses, with traceried panels at E and W carried over with vaulting. Originally there was a W gallery and 2-decker pulpit. Open contemporary pews with Gothic panels on ends. Family pews used to be in transepts, with fireplaces. C12 font of square-panelled bowl, cut down. Monuments on walls of 1819, 1825, 1826 and one 1883 to sculptor R C Lucas, carved by himself 1840. 2 bells from old church, possibly C12, small, uninscribed with domed crowns, straight sides and sound bow of angular section on inner face. Very rare if genuine.

Listing NGR: SP3187223056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
141108
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01915/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Tyrone M. McDonald. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].