WALHAMPTON HOUSE WALHAMPTON SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157615
Date first listed:
13-May-1987
Statutory Address:
WALHAMPTON HOUSE, B3054
Statutory Address:
WALHAMPTON SCHOOL, B3054

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALHAMPTON HOUSE
WALHAMPTON SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 21:48:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALHAMPTON HOUSE, B3054
Statutory Address:
WALHAMPTON SCHOOL, B3054

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Boldre
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SZ 33163 96674

Details

SZ 39 NW BOLDRE B3054 Walhampton 14/29 Walhampton House Walhampton School GV II*

Medium-sized country house, now school. Early C18, much enlarged 1884 by N Shaw who added Queen-Anne style block, original part remodelled 1911 by T Mawson. Orange/red brick older part, plum brick C19 range, some stone dressings, old plain tile roofs. Plan of 2½ storey (attic behind parapet), 5 bay projecting wings at each end one side, full-height canted bays on other, at one end against wing but set back narrow bay linking to Shaw block of 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays, set forward 2 bays from link, but in line with facade on other side, at other end C20 additions in C18 style. Entrance front has plinth with moulded brick offset. In centre 3 bay wide stone platform above 3 steps with bowed front. Large stone Corinthian doorcase with segmental pediment cutting 1st floor string. In each bay, including narrow bay, thin 18-pane flush-frame sashes, on moulded stone sills, under rubbed arches with raised keys running up to heavy moulded 1st floor string, which cuts quoins but comes round lead downpipes. On 1st floor sashes,similar sashes with tops of raised keys, in stone, joining 2nd floor stone cornice. Panelled parapet with narrow panels under rubbed arches and stone coping. Raised brick quoins and lead downpipes either side of centre 3 bays and on sides of wings. Roof hipped with short hipped roofs for wings. Above each of centre bays and on hips of wings 2-light flat roofed dormers. Stacks on front of ridge in line with inner face of wings. Shaw's range stiff and rather dull Queen Anne style. Inside older part whole of front pile remodelled in 1911 into hung oak and plaster hall in C18 style. Behind in centre bays long saloon with marble fireplace with Corinthian columns, and ceiling might be C18. In RH (from front) end wing to front room with Oriental style ceiling and red C19 porphyry fireplace, behind music room with Italian stuccoist's ceiling, niches off it lead to C2O ballroom, now chapel.

Listing NGR: SZ3316596676

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144251
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11120/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].