- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- KENTCHURCH COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157632 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 20:46:39.
- Statutory Address:
- KENTCHURCH COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 42311 25905
KENTCHURCH CP -
SO 42 NW
5/21 Kentchurch Court
Castle, now country house. Part of tower and a gateway survive of C14 structure, remainder largely rebuilt by Nash between 1795 and 1807 for the Scudamore family; further C20 alterations. Sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar to central part of front, stone slate and Welsh slate roofs, mainly hidden by crenellated parapets. Irregular plan, generally aligned north- east/south-west with early tower at north-east angle; part of front projects to south-east; main entrance to south-east front; various rectangular and grouped polygonal chimneys. Irregular two and three storeys. South-east front: salient features of the front are, to the left, a two-bay, two-storey hipped roofed block with glazing bar sash windows; next, to the right, a seven-bay two-storey block with similar glazing bar sash windows and with the central three bays breaking forward slightly with a crenellated parapet rising to the centre. The front is made assymetrical by the two-storey porch; crenellated parapet carried over corbel table, tall Tudor arched entrance surround with secondary arch and paired glazed doors behind. Single- bay recessed further to the right with triple rounded arches on three floors; projecting wing to right with three square-headed mullioned windows with decorative glazing bars on ground floor and one similar 2-light window to first floor. South-east end of projecting wing with Perpendicular style oriel window to first floor and Tudor arched door surround with fanlight and glazed double doors. North-east side: probably originally free-standing tower projecting slightly to far right end, three stages with chimney breast rising from second stage to right of garderobe on corbels. Very tall circa 1800 window of Gothick Perpendicular design with crenellated parapet slightly gabled over. Block to left with two windows on first floor and doorway below, all of similar "Perpendicular" style design. Interior: the room on the second stage of the tower has mid-C17 panelling and a C16 fireplace with moulded jambs and square head. The interior of the main house contains several fine pieces of late C17 woodwork transferred from Holme Lacy and attributed to Grinling Gibbons, including garlands with birds, fruit, vegetables and fish etc, from the overmantels and also a section from the external pediment. Re-set in the c1800 so-called "chapel" window (which in fact lights at landing at the top of the first flight of stairs), is a series of Swiss stained glass dating from 1521 and a further four roundels of C16 glass with shields of arms. Other rooms have late C18 or early C19 fireplaces, mahogany doors, dado rails etc. (RCHM, Vol I, p 153-154; BoE, p 200).
Listing NGR: SO4231125905
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 153-154
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 200
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 20 Hereford and Worcester,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.