CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157654
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
21-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 10:06:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
East Layton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16379 09843

Details

EAST LAYTON EAST LAYTON NZ 10 NE 6/30 Christ Church (formerly listed as Chapel of Ease) 4.2.69 - II

Chapel of ease. Dated 1895. By J P Pritchett Jun and H D Pritchett for Mrs Maynard Proud. Ashlar sandstone, plain tile roofs. Cruciform plan, of nave with south porch, south and north transepts, chancel, crossing tower; 4:1:3 bays; Perpendicular style. South porch: swept stepped diagonal buttresses; leaved board door in pointed-arched opening of 2 orders, the inner order shafted with undercut foliage on capitals, the outer order continuously moulded, and hoodmould with stops carved in Art Nouveau characters "AD" and "1895"; above door, sundial dated 1893; moulded coping to gable with cross at apex; in each return wall a 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould with carved stops; inner door in continuously-moulded pointed arch. Nave: moulded plinth, swept stepped buttresses dividing bays; 3-light windows with crested transoms and Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with carved stops to north and south windows, 4-light window to west. Transepts: each gable has two 2-light windows with crested transoms, Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmoulds with head stops to south, shield stops to north; staircase turret to south; on west side of north transept a moulded doorway with 4-centred arch. Chancel: to south, 4-centred arched priest's doorway, on the hoodmould stops the word "Evangelum" in Art Nouveau lettering and a chalice; above it a 2-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould with head stops; 4-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould with head stops; to east, 5-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arched head and transom, the lower panels being blind; to north, 3 Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds with head stops. Tower: octagonal corner buttresses terminating in turret finials; on each side a chamfered light vent to the ringing chamber and a 3-light louvred opening with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould with head stops to the belfry. Interior: ashlar finish throughout; filleted columns and carved capitals to moulded arches on 4 sides of crossing; carved corbels carrying arch-braced roof trusses with boarded ceiling; blind window to east of south transept; dado panelling; original fittings of high quality including altar, reredos, pulpit, pews, vestry screen across north transept, and stone font.

Listing NGR: NZ1637909843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
323242
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16519/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].