RICHMOND GARDEN AND FARM SUPPLY CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157668

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: RICHMOND GARDEN AND FARM SUPPLY CENTRE, RICHMONDSHIRE RECREATION CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RICHMOND GARDEN AND FARM SUPPLY CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:32:16.

Location

Statutory Address: RICHMOND GARDEN AND FARM SUPPLY CENTRE, RICHMONDSHIRE RECREATION CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: St. Martin's

National Grid Reference: NZ 17652 00870

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST MARTINS RICHMONDSHIRE RECREATION NZ 10 SE CENTRE

4/116 Richmond Garden and Farm Supply Centre 4.3.69 (formerly listed as Richmond Railway Station)

GV II*

Railway passenger station, now garden centre. c1846. By G T Andrews for George Hudson's Great North of England Railway. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate and glass roof. Jacobethan style. Triple- depth plan. Single-storey; 9-bay train-shed fronted by 11-bay office range with 5-bay porte-cochère further to the front. Plinth. Quoins. Porte- cochère: arcade of moulded 4-centred arches divided by stepped buttresses. String with gargoyles, parapet. Inner wall, from left: 3-light mullion and transom window; leaved door in surround with moulded stop-chamfered jambs and with moulded corbels supporting lintel; part-glazed leaved door with similar jambs and 3-light mullioned overlight; 2-light mullion and transom window; main entrance door with Perpendicular-style traceried panelling and wicket-door, in hollow-moulded pointed-arched doorway with label. To right of porte-cochère: three 2-light mullion and transom windows; gabled slightly-projecting bay with canted-bay window with lead roof; two 2-light mullion and transom windows. String, parapet. Welsh slate roofs, taller over porte-cochère. Ashlar copings to left section and also at right end. Tall ashlar stacks with strings and cornices: square at end left; double- octagon between bays 2 and 3; lozenge at right end of porte-cochère; single octagon to left of gabled bay; double-octagon to right of gabled bay. Behind, glazed 2-span roof of train shed. To left of porte-cochère: single- storey lower range supporting wrought-iron water tank with roundel bearing legend "E THOMPSON YORK 1854". Rear elevation of train shed: 9 bays divided by stepped buttresses. 8 cross windows, the fifth bay blind. Glass roof over bays 2-8 slightly raised with louvred ventilator below at junction with Welsh slate roof. Left return: twin openings to train shed, now with C20 glazing below herringbone timber panelling in gables, each with a 2-light window, a tie-beam decorated with tracery and traceried bargeboards. Right return: to left, set back, lower gable of office range with 2-light mullion and transom window; twin gables of train shed with canted-bay window with stone roof in centre and double mullion and transom window to right. Interior: rooms in office range retain their panelled doors, cornices and some fireplaces. Ticket fixture in former ticket office. Shutters to windows from parcels office onto platform. Train shed: roof valley carried on octagonal hollow cast-iron columns, one bearing maker's name "JOHN WALKER YORK" (iron founder to Queen Victoria 1847-1853 and maker of the railings and gates for the British Museum, 1851). The connecting beams in the form of 4-centred arches, with flat castings of Perpendicular-Tudor motifs in the spandrels. Suspension roof to train-shed spans. The station complex at Richmond forms an important group of railway buildings and is almost complete, only the goods station and coal-staithes having been demolished. The passenger station is of outstanding architectural importance, being one of the best of many good stations designed by G T Andrews for George Hudson (several now demolished), and executed with particularly high quality materials and craftsmanship. It formed the terminus of the Richmond branch line from Darlington. Biddle G & Nock O S, The Railway Heritage of Britain (1983), p 38; Malden J "The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c1825-1923", York Historian vol 1 (1976) pp 37-52.

Listing NGR: NZ1765200870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322182

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Biddle, , Nock, , The Railway Heritage of Britain, (1983), 38
Malden, J, 'York Historian' in The Walker Iron Foundry York Circa 1825-1923, , Vol. 1, (1976), 37-52

End of official listing