MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157690
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, FLEXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 05:52:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, FLEXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
North Baddesley
National Grid Reference:
SU 40219 20793

Details

NORTH BADDESLEY FLEXFORD ROAD SU 42 SW 4/17 Manor House (formerly listed as 29.5.57 Baddesley Manor including stables and garden wall)

GV II

House, on the site of the Precaptory of the Knights Hospitallers from the mid C12 to 1536. C15, C18, with mid C19 minor alterations and additions. Brick walls of header bond, rubbed flat arches, blue panels between windows, corner pilasters, plinth: stone cills; other walls of Flemish and English bond: stucco parapet with pierced balustrade(of oval strapwork) above a moulded stone cornice. Hipped slate roof, tile roof to lower wings. Symmetrical west front of 2 storeys and attic, three windows. The dormers (C19) have pediments, the main windows are sashes in reveals. Victorian porch of the same style, with stucco balustered parapet, moulded cornice, corner pilasters, plinth, panelled front door and side sashes. To the rear of the west front there extends (southwards) a long two storeyed service wing, of 1.3.3 windows, with a tile roof and brick walls of English and Flemish bond, ending in two wide cambered (carriage) arches, one now fitted, the interior of this building has timber framing, of earlier date. The north elevation of the main block is symmetrical, of two storeys and attic, 2.2 of similar details and three pilasters. Set back to the rear as a lower two- storeyed east wing is the surviving unit of the medieval group of buildings, being the kitchen block with a massive chimney breast; externally there is brick facing, and the north elevation has a Venetian window above two sashes.

Listing NGR: SU4046020644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
141133
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].