Church of St Leonard


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Leonard, Main Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157784.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 23:02:41.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Leonard, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wychavon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 09301 43814


SP 0843 - SP 0943 15/56

BRETFORTON CP MAIN STREET (south side) Church of St Leonard


GV I Parish church. Late C12, partly rebuilt late C13 (consecrated 1295), extended mid-C14 and C15, restored mid-C19. Coursed lias rubble with ashlar dressing and Cotswold stone roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and porches, transepts and chancel.

West tower: C15. Three stages with diagonal step buttresses and crenellated parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. Belfry stage has windows of two ogee trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, the first stage has a small square-headed window, and the ground stage has an ogee trefoiled window with square head over a door with a C19 Tudor arch.

Aisles: C12 with later details. South aisle: three bays, that to right occupied by gabled C14 transept which has diagonal buttresses and a C14 window of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. Aisle to left has a C19 stone porch with a C15 door to the outer arch, to the right a window of three cinquefoiled lights under a triangular head. North aisle and transept similarly arranged, save that the transept has a window of two ogee trefoil lights under a two-centred head.

Chancel: late C13 of three bays with two trefoiled lancets to west and a window of two cinquefoiled lights to east. East window C18 of three pointed lights under a two-centred head.

INTERIOR: nave: late C12 arcades, that to south of two and a half bays with two-centred arches of two square orders. The pillars and responds are round with scalloped capitals. The north arcade probably slightly later in date is of three bays. The arches are two-centred and the pillars round. The capital of the first pillar from the east has a carving of the legend of St Margaret on the nave (south) side. A blocked C15 doorway to tower has a hollow chamfer to arch and jambs. South aisle has a C14 trefoiled piscina with shaft in the south wall. Part of the rood loft staircase survives at the north east corner. Chancel: the windows are widely splayed with chamfered rere-arches.

Roofs: nave and chancel roofed continuously without chancel arch, nave of three bays, chancel of two, with heavily moulded tie beams and wall plates. The tie beam at the junction has arch braces, rising from C15 stone corbels. Aisle roofs are lean-to.

Fittings: reset panelling in south transept includes a piece dated 1615. The font is round with a tapering bowl and may be C12.

Listing NGR: SP0929843815


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1906), 364-366
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 99-100


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07195/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].