This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1157795

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Norton Canon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 150452

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON CANON CP - SO 34 NE 4/83 Church of St Nicholas 2.9.66 II* Parish church. C13 and rebuilt 1706 or 1716 with later alterations. Sandstone rubble, brick and sandstone dressings with stone slate and tile roofs. Cruciform plan with three-bay nave, two-bay chancel, north-west tower, north vestry and south porch. Tower is C13 with three diminishing stages on moulded plinth. Beneath the top stage is a string course and beneath the eaves a plain corbel table. Pyramidical roof with weathercock. Weathered clasping buttresses to north-west and north-east corners. Each side of the top stage has a pair of trefoil-headed openings. Central and bottom stages have single trefoil-headed openings to resemble faces. North elevation of nave has high stone plinth beneath brickwork and stone quoins. Roof runs over vestry in catslide. East side of vestry has a pair of east-facing trefoil-headed windows. A pair of similar but taller windows light the nave between vestry and north transept beneath nave roof with verges and eastern gable cross. North transept has raised brick gable with three stepped lights in a two-centred arch. Chancel has a pair of 2-light windows with plain Y-tracery to north and south sides. East window is similar to window of north transept. Moulded plinth extends to west end of nave. Chamfered two-centred priests' doorway to south side between the two windows. south transept is similar to north transept. South elevation of nave has a pair of 2-light trefoil-headed windows to either side of south porch. West end of nave has three stepped trefoil-headed lights under a segmental head. Beneath is the west door with a chamfered two-centred arch and label with C19 head stops. South porch has deep segmental arch beneath brick gable on which is atone sundial inscribed "Mr J W 1763". On jamb of outer arch is plaque inscibed "This Church/Rebuilt 1706". Within the porch is a scalloped Romanesque capital adapted as a stoup. South doorway has round-headed chamfered arch and C19 ledged oak door with enriched strap hinges. Interior has roofs with late C19 cellar trusses supported from corbels. Above the collars are curved struts. Chancel has C17 communion table with fluted stretchers and turned balusters. Reredos comprising pieces of C17 panelling with rosettes and lozenges. Early C18 communion rails with moulded rail and turned balusters. Three large C19 brass light fittings on chains. Chancel arch is C19 with two-centred head, keel-moulding and three orders in dark brown. Water holding bases to shafts. Nave: has late C19 part-octagonal pulpit with C17 guilloche designs and female terms. Behind the pulpit is a large wooden Crucifixion, perhaps Flemish. Triangular-headed doorway to vestry. Font, probably C13, has octagonal bowL with chamfered undersides and cover dated 1894. Three tapered C13 coffin lids with foliated designs on east wall. Grisaille glass of c1300 in south- west window. South transept has late C19 harmonium with mahogany case and exposed galvanised pipes. North transept has several early to mid-C19 wall monuments to members of the Carless and Whitney families. (BoE, p 264; RCHM, iol III, p 153/4).

Listing NGR: SO3820547756

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 153-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 264

National Grid Reference: SO 38205 47756

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:46:18.

End of official listing