CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157820.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:20:45.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 59792 28348
SO 52 NE; 3/21
FOY CP, FOY
Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, C14 west tower and south porch, east wall of chancel rebuilt in 1673. Restoration of 1854 and 1863. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel.
West tower: three stages, plinth, stepped diagonal buttressing, plain parapet, single square-headed loop to second stage, two trefoil- headed lights with quatrefoil to belfry. Nave: restored 2-light window to left with primitive head stops to label; two trefoiled ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil and easternmost window with two trefoil-headed lights and multifoiled tracery above both to right of south porch with 2-centred arched head to outer doorway of two moulded orders and similar inner doorway, returns of south porch both with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights, partially restored; chancel: square-headed window with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights above square-headed chancel doorway, two trefoil-headed lights to window to right. East window: 1673 for John Abrahall, a copy of the late C14 window at St Tysillo, Sellack CP. Four trefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery in C14 style, small panel in gable with arms and initials. "IA 1673".
INTERIOR: late C14 or early C15 roof of nave with open arch-braced collar and two cusped struts above collar, C19 copy in chancel. Tower arch, 2-centred with two continuous chamfered orders; chancel arch, two chamfered orders, moulded imposts, recess to south of chancel arch in nave with cinquefoil ogee head, two moulded shelves in recess. Fittings: large C14 font, octagonal with moulded base, panel with pairs of trefoil-headed arches to sides; C17 six-sided pulpit with decorative arcading and fluting to upper and lower edges; C17 communion rails with turned balusters and C17 stalls in chancel. Monuments: C13 effigy defaced in chancel and similar small effigy in nave altar recess. Chancel north wall, Abrahall memorial tablet 1736, mixed marble, open segmental pediment supported on Corinthian pilasters, shell motif and decorative brackets, funerary urn and Abrahall arms above. Commemorates John Abrahall of Ingeston, died 1702, Markey Abrahall 1715, John Abrahall 1734 and erected by Benedicta Abrahall (died 1742) in memory of the latter John Abrahall by Esau Osborn of Bristol. Abrahall memorial, polychrome wall tablet with broken segmental pediment, decorative scroll and folial ornament flanking inscription panel, winged cherub below, Abrahall arms in pediment, commemorates Dorothy Jones, daughter of George Abrahall, died 1690, and William Jones, died 1696. Paul Abrahall memorial: stone wall tablet 1675, open segmental pediment with cartouche of arms, twisted Ionic columns, wigged demi-figure carrying books. South wall: George Abrahall 1673 with allegorical figures.
Listing NGR: SO5979228347
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 64-67
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 133-134
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing