CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157835

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, SOUTHWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:22:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, SOUTHWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Wickham

National Grid Reference: SU 57533 11446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WICKHAM SOUTHWICK ROAD SU 5711 10/50 Church of St Nicholas 6.3.67 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, south transept 1803, virtual rebuilding of 1862 (by F & H Francis). Walls of flint with Bath stone dressings; stepped buttresses, lancets, cusped 2 and 3-light windows, Decorated tracery to the gables of chancel and transepts: brick walls to south transept. Tile roof. Early English style: aisleless nave and chancel, north and south transepts, south chapel, west tower incorporating the entrance. The tower has diagonal buttresses of several steps, a timber-framed bell stage with shingled broach spire, and a Norman west door (re-set from an earlier building). Victorian interior with several wall monuments of the C18 and C19, the chancel has the remains of a C15 table tomb with cusped panels, the south chapel has a fine wall monument of 1569 (William Uvedale) with strap work, the south transept has a notable alabaster tomb of 1615 (Sir William Uvedale) with classical details, arched canopy, male and female effigies, and kneelers. West gallery, and canopied font.

Listing NGR: SU5799411303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 146274

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing