MONNINGTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157849

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1953

Statutory Address: MONNINGTON COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONNINGTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157849 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 16:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address: MONNINGTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brobury with Monnington on Wye

National Grid Reference: SO 37305 43356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MONNINGTON-ON-WYE CP MONNINGTON-ON-WYE SO 34 SE 4/52 Monnington Court 20.2.53 GV II*

House. C14, extended mid-C17, refronted early C18 with some late C20 restoration. Timber-frame clad in coursed rubble with graduated stone tile roof. H-plan, hall range aligned north-west/south-east. Main stack lateral on rear wall of hall. Southern cross-wing is C14 of four bays, the rest C17. South-west front of two storeys with gabled cross-wings, one plus three plus one windows, all are 2-light casements, save the central one of three lights, all under segmental brick heads. Ground floor has one plus two plus one windows, that to left partially blocked by a lean-to buttress. Next window a 4-light casement and last two of three lights. Entrance to left of centre has a moulded oak frame, the shaped head carved with two monsters. The panelled door has incised diamond-shape patterns in each panel and strap hinges with fleurs-de-lis terminals. Side wall of southern cross-wing contains a 9-light timber window with mullions and transom. Interior: the entrance leads into a through-passage. Hall side of this wall has re-set woodwork, probably from the earlier screen, dated "T/ TL/ 1656". Includes two grotesque caryatids, two shields of arms, one supported by two cherubs, the other held by an angel. To left the inscription "Vive Deo gratus/ toti mundo tumulatus" and to right "Crimin mundatus/ semper transire peratus". The hall ceiling is divided into 24 panels by chamfered and stopped beams, the six panels to the south end bearing central geometrical designs with moulded ribs and fleurs-de-lis in the angles. Fireplace has a moulded three-centred head of stone. Roof of south cross- wing retains three and a half bays of a C14 roof. The main trusses have a single strut between the cambered tie-beam and collar. The intermediate trusses have arch-braced tie-beams. Two tiers of threaded purlins with a few cusped wind-braces surviving. Room below ceiled in C17. North cross- wing has two panelled rooms, most of it re-set. The ceiling beams have deep chamfers. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 152-3).



Listing NGR: SO3730343355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150011

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 152-3

End of official listing