This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ENGINE HOUSE AT SX 408715

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENGINE HOUSE AT SX 408715

List entry Number: 1157991

Location

ENGINE HOUSE AT SX 408715

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Calstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK HINGSTON DOWN CONSOLS MINE SX 47 SW 2/115 Engine house at SX 408715 13.2.86 II Cornish engine house. Mid - late C19, altered 1905. Granite with dressed quoins and brick dressings. Plan: Rectangular engine house. Exterior: 3 storeys. The bob wall has an arched opening at ground level and a large rectangular bob opening above. Just below this are cast iron wall plates, two to each corner, marked Tavistock Iron Works 1882. Side walls have an arched window at each level. Parapet rebuilt in brick and the building re-roofed in 1905, when the building was adapted to house a second-hand 36 inch rotative beam engine by the Bedford foundry, Tavistock. This had previously worked at Devon Great Consols and here worked a set of stamps and pumped from the adjacent Bailey's Shaft. The hipped roof is now largely decayed. An interesting example of a late engine house adapted for a dual purpose engine but itself apparently older. The brick parapet and roof structure look like an alteration to an older building, but the whole may date from 1905. The 1882 dates on the wall plates seem unlikely to refer to the original building, since the mine was unworked at that time. The main periods of working Hingston Down Consols Mine were 1846-78 and 1905-8. The engine house makes a prominent landmark on the summit of Hingston Downs. Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon. 1964.

Listing NGR: SX4086671474

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East Cornwall and West Devon, (1964)

National Grid Reference: SX4086671474

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 09:34:12.

End of official listing