CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1158033
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WRAXALL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:50:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WRAXALL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wraxall and Failand
National Grid Reference:
ST 49021 71969

Details

ST 47 SE WRAXALL WRAXALL HILL (west side)

3/204 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 11.10.61 G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered and enlarged early - mid C13 and late C14; restored 1851 and 1893 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. West tower; nave; north aisle and chapel; south porch and chapel; chancel. Ashlar and coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate and lead roofs with coped raised verges and behind plain parapets. West tower: banded stone of 2 colours; 4 stages, diagonal buttresses with off-sets; blank arcaded parapet with an image niche in the centre of each side; square corner pinnacles surmounted by smaller pinnacles; polygonal stair turret to north-east; 2-light windows in 2 tiers, string course which rises to form a headmould; 2-light west window, image niche with ogee head; moulded west doorway. Nave and south chapel: three 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped tracery and square hoodmoulds; buttresses with off- sets; sanctus bell-cote over east gable. South porch: square projecting porch, diagonal buttresses with off-sets; pointed doorway of 2 orders, stiff-leaf capitals to the columns (restored); dripmould with carved head stops; single light lancets on first floor; sundial in centre of parapet; decorative wrought- iron gate. Chancel: pointed priest's door has an inner roll moulding with head stops, outer hoodmould also with head stops; two 2-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped tracery, square heads and dripmoulds; 5-light C19 Perpendicular style east window. North aisle: three 3-light Perpendicular style windows, as the south side; projecting polygonal rood stair turret; pointed north door with outer roll moulding, hood mould with carved stops. South doorway is C12, columns with scalloped capitals; pointed and chamfered doorways to stairs to first floor room. Interior. Nave has 4 bay arcades, the piers consist of alternating engaged columns and hollow mouldings and have moulded capitals and abaci. Tower arch of continuous double hollow and ogee moulding; chancel arch of continuous hollow and roll moulding. The nave and north aisle roofs are C19, but rest on a good collection of C14 and C15 carved corbel heads. Former doorways to rood stair have chamfered surrounds and 4- centred heads; 4-centre headed doorway to upper room of porch to west of south door. South chapel is reached through a tall 4-centred arch of hollow and wave mouldings; 2 piscinae with ogee and trefoil head. The chancel is mostly late C19 by Blomfield: 5-bay arch-braced collar beam roof with cusped windbracing. The pulpit, lectern, organ and benches are also mid - late C19, in a Perpendicular style; the screens are by Blomfield and particularly well carved. Font. C15, octagonal, ashlar, with 2 blank arches on each side; on the pier adjoining the font is a stone book-rest supported on a demi-figure of an angel. Glass: a good collection of glass by C.E. Kempe from 1896, donated by the first Lord Wraxall; in the room above the porch is a late C15 lancet representing the Five Wounds, on a shield held by an angel. Monuments. Chancel: early C16 tomb chest to Sir Edmund and Lady Gorges in armour and robes with a finely carved front of heraldry flanked by angels; simple inscribed marble plaque to Thomas Holt, died 1687. South chapel: Charles Brent, died 1729 and Margarita Coopey, died 1744, aedicular marble tablets, flanked by pilasters with friezes. Nave: John Lucas, died 1817, marble by Tyley, 2 parents stand by an urn. North aisle: L. Lucas, died 1807, marble seated figure against a curved pedestal; W. King, died 1792, marble plaque with an urn. George and Henry Seymour, 1827, marble and freestone, gothic inscribed plaques with gabled canopies. The church is prominently situated and is a fine landmark with excellent details of Perpendicular style architecture (both mediaeval and late C19 by Blomfield). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958). .

Listing NGR: ST4902471971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33595
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16297/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].