LLOYDS SIGNAL STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158037

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: LLOYDS SIGNAL STATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of LLOYDS SIGNAL STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address: LLOYDS SIGNAL STATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Landewednack

National Grid Reference: SW 71481 11934

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANDEWEDNACK BASS POINT SW 71 SW 9/57 Lloyds Signal Station II Signal station, now dwelling. 1872. Erected and opened by Messrs Fox of Falmouth. Masonry with white masonry paint covering. Almost square in plan with canted bay to south-east. 2 1/2 storeys with rectangular window openings, fenestration now altered. Windows generally asymmetrical with 3 windows on ground floor on south- west side. C20 porch and 3 windows on north-west side and 2 storeys of 3 rectangular windows in the projecting bay to the south-east with a ground and first floor window on the left. 5 small rectangular lookout windows are placed below the battlements of the bay looking seaward. Flat roof behind the battlements. The timber signal pole has been reduced in height. Of the 4 rooms on the ground floor 2 were occupied by the Direct Spanish Telegraph Company, 1 by the Lizard Signal Company and 1 a waiting room. Telegraph office above. On the flat roof a signalman watched through the 5 small windows. Communication between the office and vessels was made by semaphore. Outward- and homeward-bound ships reported their name and other information. The particulars were then passed to the telegraph room below and sent to the ships' owners and to daily papers. This removed the necessity for ships to call at Falmouth as they could receive orders from The Lizard. More than 1,000 ships per month used The Lizard Station by 1877. Interior not inspected. Sources: S Pascoe, On the Cornish Coast, 1877. C A Johns, A Week at The Lizard, 3rd Edition

Listing NGR: SW7148111934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64637

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Johns, CA , A Week at the Lizard
Pascoe, S , On the Cornish Coast, (1877)

End of official listing