CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1158046
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 00:03:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Congresbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 43566 63762

Details

ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)

4/97 Church of St. Andrew 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican parish church. C13 origin remodelled in C15 with restorations in 1825, 1856 and 1950-2. Coursed and squared rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone copings and ashlar dressings, copper roof to nave, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Principal windows are of 3-lights with Perpendicular cusped tracery under pointed-arched heads with some C19 renewal and C19 face stops to hoodmoulds. Smaller, similar 2-light Perpendicular windows to nave clerestory. East window of 5 lights. Offset buttresses to aisles with blind embattled parapets and crocketted pinnacles. Tower of 2 stages with spire. Offset diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, blind embattled parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. 2-light bell openings on all faces except the east which has a large clock face decorated with border cusping. Gargoyles to north face only. West facade has a doorway with deep reveal decorated with 2 tiers of niches in the jambs; 2-leaf plank door. Above this a 3-light C15 window under pointed head. Octagonal tapering spire with 2-light ogee-headed openings to alternate faces. North aisle with polygonal rood stair turret, gargoyles and figure niche to parapet and north doorway of 3 orders with C19 face stops to hoodmould and plank door. South porch with 4-centred arched doorway and 2-leaf plank door. 3-light windows under flat head to parvise. South doorway with fleurons in the jambs and an ogee gable with large finial. Interior. Nave has 4-bay C13 arcades, that to the south with detached Purbeck shafts to piers replaced in 1856. Fine face stops in the spandrels of the north aisle arcade. Complex moulded tower arch. Barrel roof much restored but with original bosses and intricate tracery to wall plate. Fine stone corbels : all faces with toothache commemorating William Button (Bishop of Bath and Wells 1218- 64). Rood loft opening and stair door on north wall. Tall chancel arch with wave moulding and faces half way up jambs. Chancel has C19 wagon roof and double C13 piscina on south wall. Aisles have plaster ribbed vaults with face corbels. South chapel has pointed-headed piscina and Easter sepulchre recess. Fittings. C13 font with cable moulding on bowl supported by 4 shafts; Jacobean font cover. C19 Early English style pulpit, C19 brass lectern. Fine C15 rood screen with some renewal. C20 stained glass in south aisle windows, C19 glass in east window with medieval fragments in top lights. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4356663766

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33965
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02512/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].