CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1158085
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 08:57:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Michaelstow
National Grid Reference:
SX 08074 78868

Details

MICHAELSTOW MICHAELSTOW SX 07 NE 6/113 Church of St Michael - 17.12.62 GV I

Parish church. Possibly C13 origins enlarged in C15. Restored in 1826, in 1870-1889 by Messrs Hine and Odgers and in 1982. Stone rubble with granite quoins and moulded granite plinth and strings to west tower. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. Plan: Nave and chancel possibly with C13 origins with 4 bay north aisle and 5-bay south aisle added in C15. Circa C15 south porch and west tower. Exterior : Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with rectangular stair turret on north. Battlemented parapets with crocketted finials surmounted by crosses. Moulded stilted arch to west door. C19 3 light west window and 2-light belfry openings with slate louvres. C19 tracery in south aisle, simple 3-light Perpendicular tracery in chancel window and circa C15 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads at east end of north aisle. Piscina on exterior of north wall of chancel. 3 C15 Perpendicular windows in north aisle and blocked 4-centred moulded arch to north door. South porch has 2-centred hollow chamfered arch with sundial of 1684, C15 waggon roof and moulded basket arch of Catacleuse stone with hollow chamfer and carved with floral motifs. Interior : Plaster walls. Unceiled C15 waggon roofs in nave and north and south aisles with carved ribs and wall plate partly restored. Particularly high quality carving in north aisle with evidence of pendants at east end. C19 roof to chancel. 5-bay arcade to south aisle and 4-bay arcade to north aisle with granite type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded bases, moulded 4-centred arches and carved capitals of Caenstone and Polyphant stone. Piscina and credence in chancel, circa C15 font and Royal Arms dated 1727, painted on timber board. Circa C15 bench ends rescued from Church of St Tudius, St Tudy. Other benches 1882. 2 commandment boards dated 1803 and signed Henry Hocken and Wm Symons, Churchwardens. Bell dated 1550. C16 and C17 memorials. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970 Church guide.

Listing NGR: SX0807378868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68555
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Michael Michaelstow Church Guide
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16747/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Sarah Bolt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].