TOWER ABOUT 15 METRES WEST OF ST BENET'S ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1158186

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: TOWER ABOUT 15 METRES WEST OF ST BENET'S ABBEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER ABOUT 15 METRES WEST OF ST BENET'S ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 05:10:35.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER ABOUT 15 METRES WEST OF ST BENET'S ABBEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanivet

National Grid Reference: SX0379963643

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANIVET SX 06 SW 8/112 Tower about 15 metres west of 6.6.69 St Benet's Abbey (formerly listed as Tower at rear of St Benet's Abbey)

GV II*

Tower ; probably originally the west tower of a chapel at St Benet's Abbey. C15. Granite ashlar with granite dressings. C19 repair in brick. Plan: Square plan tower. The west side has doorway, and the east side has a tower arch which would formerly have led into a nave ; there is the line of a gable end in the masonry above the tower arch. Stair in north west corner. Exterior: Two stages remain of what must originally have been a 3-stage tower. There is a moulded string course between the two stages. On the east side there is a tall 4-centred tower arch, with double chamfered order to the arch and Pevsner A-type piers. Line of a gable end above. The upper stage to east has single chamfered light and upper 3-light window with 4-centred arched lights, recessed spandrels and square hood mould. At the north side, there are staggered lancets for the stair tower ; moulded string course contained and upper C20 2-light window ; the upper part rebuilt in brick. The south side also has an upper C20 2-light window. The west side has 4-centred arched doorway, hollow-chamfered, with hood mould. Window above, also with 4-centred arch and hood mould ; originally 3-light, the stoolings remaining for the mullions and some of the upper part of the tracery, of Perpendicular style. Interior: In the north west corner there is basket-arched doorway to the stair, hollow-chamfered. Stone newel stair. There is a plain 4-centred arch over the west door and the west window. Lyson's Cornwall shows a print of 1814, which shows the top stage of the tower missing.

Listing NGR: SX0379963643

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67586

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia Cornwall, (1814)

End of official listing