ENGINE HOUSE AT SW628298, IVEY'S SHAFT, WHEAL METAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158231
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
ENGINE HOUSE AT SW628298, IVEY'S SHAFT, WHEAL METAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AT SW628298, IVEY'S SHAFT, WHEAL METAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 23:13:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENGINE HOUSE AT SW628298, IVEY'S SHAFT, WHEAL METAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Breage
National Grid Reference:
SW 62879 29885

Details

SW 62 NW BREAGE

7/30 Engine house at SW628298, Ivey's Shaft, Wheal Metal

GV II

Disused beam engine house. Circa 1859. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite quoins jambstones and lintels with much dressed granite, in places almost ashlar, especially to the gable end wall and the bob wall. Round brick arches to the 2 principal openings, some timber lintels. The 2 stage chimney has a rubble lower stage and a brick upper stage. Rectangular single cell plan with round chimney clasping the west corner, thicker bob wall at north-east side. Three storeys over basement but floors and cylinder removed. North-east bob wall has central large round-headed brick arch to ground floor, blind above and former weather-boarded upper floor and gable removed. The opposite south west gable end wall has similar ground floor opening and a smaller square headed opening to both the 1st and second floors. Similar square headed openings to each side wall, the second floor unpierced. The rubble chimney tapers to a brick collar at ridge level surmounted by a tall tapered brick shaft with a cornice resembling a Doric capital. The masonry of this engine house is remarkably complete but fallen timber lintels are causing some deterioration. An unusually large engine house. In 1859 the building was fitted with an 1846 Harvey 85" engine, moved from Wheal Vor Trelawney's Shaft, and it is said that the engine house was also moved stone by stone. It has been suggested that this event was the origin of the name 'Pulldown'. Work came to an end in the early 1870s and in 1877 the 85-inch engine was removed from the house and despatched to Gateshead Waterworks where it survived until the 1940s. Source: Kenneth Brown, council member of the Trevithick Society.

Listing NGR: SW6130028400

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
65729
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15059/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivor Corkell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].