- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- TREGITHEW FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158239 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 07:54:38.
- Statutory Address:
- TREGITHEW FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 75198 24669
SW 72 SE
5/64 Tregithew Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17 or earlier, remodelled and partly rebuilt in 1726 for W.N. further
extended by rear wing and outshut circa late C18. Serpentine rubble and dressed
Serpentine, dressed granite jambstones sills, and granite lintels incised to resemble
voussoirs of flat arches to the 1726 rebuilt part of the front. Scantle slate roofs,
sweeping lower over rear outshut and hipped over rear wing. Large C17 rubble chimney
over left-hand gable end and 2 large granite ashlar chimneys (1726), left of middle
and over right-hand gable end.
Plan: before the 1726 partial refronting and re-roofing this was probably the usual
3-room through passage plan with lower end, (largely still intact), left of former
passage, hall, middle and inner room right. The lower end and passage then became 2
service rooms with kitchen at left and the hall and inner room became a living-room
and parlour, right. It is probable that the house had already, by 1726, been
extended to the right as is indicated by the altered C17 doorway left of the 1726
parlour. Also in 1726 a stair turret was added at rear, right of middle, and then a
service wing to the right of the stair, and finally circa late C18 a service outshut
along the rear at the left and adjoining rear wall of stair turret.
2 storeys. Fairly regular 6-window east-south-east front. Walling of the 2 left-
hand bays up to first floor sill level is C17 otherwise front is mostly 1726 but
incorporating a doorway, under fourth from left first floor window, with chamfered
and straight stopped jambs and lintel cut away except over jambs and with incised
lintel of 1726 above. Now with C20 glazed porch. Datestone left of doorway with
west-north 1726. Except for the 2 circa early C19 sashes at ground floor left, all
the windows, 4 to ground floor and 6 to first floor are the original 1726 12-pane
sashes with very wide glazing bars, internally ovolo-moulded, and most of the
original crown glass.
Rear has 2 particularly interesting windows to first floor left and right of outshut,
both circa late C18 with horizontal wooden glazing bars and leaded panes between.
The left-hand window is in the original 1726 stair turret but reduced in size. The
right-hand window has one later replaced light. Further similar complete window to
right-hand gable end. At the left-hand gable end is original single-light chamfered
C17 granite window.
Interior has some very good 1726 features including 2 complete and unaltered rooms,
the parlour and the chamber over. Parlour is fully panelled with fielded panels,
broken forward at panel intervals with the moulded cornice also broken forward. The
chimney piece has eared bolection moulding with breaks in the entablature. 8-
panelled doors; those to cupboards flanking the fireplace have round heads. The
chamber over has bolection moulded chimney piece and ceiling coved with moulded
cornices on 4 sides, also original doors and cupboards. A further bolection moulded
chimney-piece in the next room. Wide open-well closed-string stair with heavy column
and bobbin turned balusters, moulded handrail and newel caps, turned pendant under
landing newel and pulvinated string. Bowtell moulded beams in room to left of
parlour and many other C18 features. Roof structure not inspected but must be
predominently of 1726.
A remarkable house, with good features surviving from each or its main
periods of development and particularly notable the C18 fenestration and high quality
and innovative parlour and principal chamber features.
Listing NGR: SW7519824669
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing