Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158241.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 12:13:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 03940 64208


LANIVET LANIVET SX 06 SW 8/124 Church of St Nivet 6.6.69 GV I

Parish church. Circa early C15, with later C15 additions. Late C19 restoration, undated board for the Incorporated Society for Building and Churches in porch. Granite rubble ; the east end, the south aisle, south porch and tower in granite ashlar. Granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles ; scalloped slates to eaves at gable ends. Plan: Nave and chancel in one. Circa mid C15, the north aisle was added. Late in the C15, the south aisle and south porch were added, and the east end of the chancel and both aisles were rebuilt. Late C15 west tower. Exterior: Nave is concealed by the aisles. The east end of the chancel has a 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with 4 centred arch and hood mould. North aisle of 6 bays, all windows are 3-light, with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, with 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. The east end has a similar 4-light window with Y-tracery. The west end has similar 4-light window ; the gable end is truncated by the tower. The south aisle is of 6 bays, in granite ashlar, without a plinth ; the porch in the second bay from the west. All windows are 3-light, with cusped lights and more elaborate Perpendicular tracery with cusping ; 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. The east bay has a 2 centred arched hollow-chamfered priest's door. Rood stair projection with chamfered plinth and lancet. The west end has similar 4- light window with cusped lights and through tracery. The west end has similar C19 4- light window in limestone. South porch is gabled, without a plinth. Plain round-arched outer doorway with voussoirs ; fine C19 cast iron gate with knob finials. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor and granite benches to sides. C19 wagon roof. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings ; C19 door with strap hinges. Recess for holy water stoup to right. West tower in 3 stages on chamfered plinth, with set-back weathered buttresses and moulded string courses ; embattled parapet. The west doorway has moulded 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and square hood mould ; C19 door with strap hinges. 4- light west window with cusped lights and Y-tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. At second stage to south a 2-light window with cusped lights and square hood mould. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Interior: Plastered walls and C19 tiled floor. All roofs are C19 and have arched- braced trusses, with windbraces and stencilled painting in the chancel. North and south 6-bay arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, 4-centred arches, hollow-chamfered in the north arcade and plain chamfered in the south arcade. Tall tower arch with clustered piers to sides, moulded 4-centred arch with C20 wooden screen across. The chancel has a C12 stone capital hollowed out for use as a piscina and moulded granite image stand. The south aisle has 4-centred arch doorway to the rood stair, stone newel stair and upper 3-centred arched doorway ; both arcades are cut through for the rood screen. Aumbry in south aisle. Fittings: C19 pews and stone pulpit, chancel has C19 reredos and wooden screens to south and north. C14 octagonal stone font in south aisle with elaborate tracery panels. An inscribed pillar stone in the south aisle, inscribed in Roman capitals : ANNIC FIL ; C5 OR C6. Fine mid C18 table in nave, the frieze carved with rosettes and masks, carved turned legs. In the nave and aisles, four fine C19 Gothic painted wrought iron candelabras in the form of corona lucis. In north aisle, two sections of the late C15 wooden rood screen, with cusped panels and quatrefoil frieze. Monuments in north aisle : slate plate to John and Richard Courtenay, with life-size bearded figure carved in high relief, 1632 ; marble monument on slate ground, to Roger Henwood, 1815, by Kitt of St Austell; marble monument on slate ground with draped urn, to Mary Cole Ffrench, 1873 ; marble monument on slate ground, to Mary Magor, 1852, by Edgcombe of Truro; slate monument with incised nowy head, with shield and cherubs, to John Wymond, 1725; C17 slate ledger stone with inscription round the border, unidentified. In south aisle: a marble pedestal tomb with urn, to William Flamank, rector. 1861: four marble monuments on slate ground, to Bridget Hoblyn, 1827, by J. Collins of Devonport; to Nicholas Phillips, 1827; to Thomas Jenkyn, 1781; to John Hawkey, 1864. Glass: Late C19 stained glass. Two windows in the north aisle have fragments of C15 stained glass in the tracery. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX0394664202


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15079/01
Rights: © Mr John Belton-Perkin. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].