PRIDEAUX HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GAZEBO

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158296

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: PRIDEAUX HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GAZEBO

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIDEAUX HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GAZEBO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:11:35.

Location

Statutory Address: PRIDEAUX HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALL AND GAZEBO

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Luxulyan

National Grid Reference: SX 05905 56076

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUXULYAN SX 05 NE 7/166 Prideaux House with attached wall - 7.1.52 and gazebo (formerly listed as Prideaux New Manor) GV II

House with attached screen wall and gazebo. 1808, built for one of the Rashleigh family; some later alterations. Front and left side in granite ashlar; granite rubble, partly rendered. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles behind high parapet. Rendered axial stacks. Plam : Double depth plan, with central entrance, principal room to front right and left; the room to front left is open to the room to rear left. Stair well to rear right. Attached to rear right, a large service wing with cellar and attic. A screen wall is attached to front right, with the service yard behind at cellar level; the screen wall terminated by a gazebo. 2-storeys, 1:1:1 bays. The central bay breaks forward and is carried on 2 pairs of granite Tuscan columns, supporting the wide, round unmoulded arch of the porch, its archivolt recessed into the house ; over the arch a straight cornice, and under the porch a low flight of 4 granite steps lead to the recessed doorway. Panelled double doors, with applied coats of arms of earlier date, sidelights and decorative fanlight. Large 15-pane sash with sidelights and segmental head to right and left; at first floor three 12-pane sashes with bandcourse over; cornice and blocking course. At the left side, the 3 central bays are broken forward; at ground floor, 2 large 12- pane sashes with segmental heads, each with flight of 8 granite steps to garden terrace; central round-headed niche with Rashleigh arms. First floor has band course and cill band to three 12-pane sashes; cornice and blocking course. At the right side, the screen wall in rubble extends about 10 metres, rising to first floor level at the front; to the rear of the wall the service courtyard, with 4 open bays with cambered heads below the wall as open store on the yard side. At the end of the wall, small single storey gazebo, with pryamidal slate roof, C20 door to right side with brick jambs. The right side of the house has at basement level 3 doors with segmental heads, and two 12-pane sashes, arranged symmetrically. Ground-floor has 5 windows, all 12-pane sashes except 2nd from left, which is blind; first floor has 5 windows, blind except 2 to right with C20 sashes; upper level of first floor has two 12-pane sashes and two 9-pane sashes, 2nd from left blind. Stack rising from eaves to left heating the front rooms. Attached to right, a large contemporary 1808 service wing of 3 storeys on cellar; towards the front, a cellar door and 18-pane sash, with 12-pane at first floor to left. The service wing at the right side has 5 windows, similar sashes with segmental heads at ground floor, with 30-pane sash to left lighting the service stair; door 2nd from right. Other windows at first and 2nd floors 12-pane sashes. The rear is rendered and lined out; the rear of the main house has a round-headed sash lighting the entrance hall with Y-tracery glazing bars; 12-pane sash to right. First floor right has 12-pane sash, to left a 16-pane sash and C20 sash. The service wing projects to left, also of 5 windows, at ground floor 12- pane sashes with a glazed C20 door, at first floor 15-pane sashes. The rear of the service wing has a single storey addition in granite ashlar with hipped roof, now used as garages. Interior Central entrance hall has arch with vault and rear stair well, oval, with open-well stair with open string, wreathed handrail and stick balusters. Rectangular lantern above with swagged plasterwork. The room to front right has coloured marble chimneypiece, plain cornice and shutters to windows. The room to front left has false door to front for symmetry with door to room to right, and rear 6-panelled door; later C19 marble chimneypiece and cornice with wheatear and roses; panelled doors double to room to rear left, which has the same cornice and marble Regency- style chimneypiece. In the service wing, the cellar rooms are vaulted. Rest of interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX0590556076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70918

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing