Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158352.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 12:58:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Clifton and Compton
National Grid Reference:
SK 16560 44807


SK 14 SE PARISH OF CLIFTON AND COMPTON MAIN STREET 4/38 (South Side) Church of the Holy Trinity GV II

Parish church. 1845 by Henry Stevens of Derby. Apse and bell turret 1868 by Slater & Carpenter. Coursed squared rock faced sandstone with sandstone dressings. Chamfered plinth and moulded eaves band. Banded plain and fishscale tile roofs. Stone coped gables, cross finial and octagonal corbelled out bell turret, with pyramid roof, on the west gable. Nave and south porch, two north vestries and chancel with canted apse. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses and entrance with two orders of shafts and moulded arch. To the left, a lancet window with trefoil head and hood- mould. To the right are three 2-light windows with plate tracery and hoodmoulds. Buttresses between. The Chancel has to the south and north a 2-light window with geometrical tracery and a larger 3-light window and geometrical tracery to each face of the canted apse. Moulded stringcourses linking the sills and hoodmoulds. The north side of the nave has a vestry with hipped roof, circular chimney stack, diagonal buttresses and three single lancets to the north. Then two 2-light windows corres- ponding to those on the south side, with a buttress between. Then a gabled vestry with tall chimney stack, diagonal buttresses and a single trefoiled lancet to north. Finally a trefoiled lancet corresponding to that on the south side. The eastern-most windows of the nave are enriched with a roll moulding. The west elevation has two tall trefoiled lancets either side of a buttress and a wheel window in the gable. Double chamfered south doorway and plank door with scrolled iron hinges. The nave has an open arch-braced collar roof. Double chamfered chancel arch on rich foliage capitals and shafts with shaft rings on corbels. Chancel has richly tiled floor and mosaic dado. Stained glass in the three apse windows, c1882 by Clayton & Bell. Stained glass in most other windows, the middle one on the south side of the nave and the east one on the north side of the nave are of 1868 by Cox & Son of London. Stone pulpit with blind trefoiled arcading. Octagonal stone font with bold trefoil motifs on the bowl, standing on a quatrefoil base of a cluster of filleted shafts. Royal coat of arms dated 1926.

Listing NGR: SK1656044807


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/09510/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].