CENTRE NORTH BLOCK OF BLOOMSBURY STUD, FORMING PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158377

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: CENTRE NORTH BLOCK OF BLOOMSBURY STUD, FORMING PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRE NORTH BLOCK OF BLOOMSBURY STUD, FORMING PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 15:04:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CENTRE NORTH BLOCK OF BLOOMSBURY STUD, FORMING PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woburn

National Grid Reference: SP 95965 33296

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN WOBURN PARK 8/186 23.1.61 Centre N block of Bloomsbury Stud, forming part of Park Farm complex GV II Former cow houses belonging to Park Farm. This model farm was begun 1795 by Robert Salmon, resident architect and 'mechanist' to the estate, for Francis 5th Duke of Bedford. This block is of slightly later date and does not appear on George Garrard's painting of Woburn Sheep Shearing (1804, but probably depicting scene of c.1801). Coursed ironstone. Slate roofs. Low single-storeyed blocks arranged around small rectangular yard, main elevation facing E. Rustic Neo-classical style. E elevation: symmetrical, with central 2-storeyed slightly projecting gable and single-storeyed slightly projecting gables to each end. Central gable has elliptical-arched recess containing 4-light window. Arched head rises into first floor, and is surmounted by round-arched window. Impost string course is in line with eaves of flanking single-storey wings. Each of latter has 2 3-light windows. All windows except first floor one are casements with ornamental geometric glazing bars, possibly c.1830. Outer gables each have plank door. Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. Louvred ridge ventilators to roofs. The 5th and 6th Dukes were interested in estate management and agricultural developments. Park Farm was intended as a place to demonstrate new agricultural technology, and was the setting for the annual Woburn Sheep Shearing. Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/26, plans and elevations for "Feeding Sheds", n.d. but probably early C19; J M Robinson, "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839", Architectural Review, November 1976, pp 276-279.

Listing NGR: SP9596533296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38282

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, J M, 'Architectural Review' in Farming on a Princely Scale Estate Buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839, (1976), 276-279
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

End of official listing