CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1158423

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, EDLASTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:14:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, EDLASTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Edlaston and Wyaston

National Grid Reference: SK 18118 42674

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 14 SE PARISH OF EDLASTON AND WYASTON EDLASTON LANE 4/47 (South Side) 13.9.67 Church of St James GV II*

Parish church. Early C14, 1682, c1870 and 1900 by E. A. Minty of London brother of the incumbent at the time. Coursed rubble and squared sandstone, and sandstone ashlar. Plain tile and lead roofs. Plain parapet to nave. West Vestry and bell turret, nave with south porch, and chancel. Irregular South elevation of nave. Gabled South porch with plain chamfered arch. To the right high up, a 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights under a flat head. To the right again a 3-light window under a flat head, with C19 cusped ogee lights. Three buttresses with many set offs. Beneath the parapet is a circular sun dial. The chancel was probably rebuilt in 1682, the date is carved on a stone in the east wall outside. It has a chamfered plinth, no window openings to the north and a 2-light flat headed window to the south with cusped ogee lights, the upper parts of the tracery filled in. 3-light east window of c1870, with reticulated tracery. The lower part of the window has an unusual stepped arrangement of small pierced trefoils and quatrefoils in roundels, containing coloured glass forming a reredos within. The nave has an irregular north elevation with buttresses of varying sizes, a blocked C19 flat headed doorway and a 2-light window with cusped ogee lights under a flat head. West vestry and bellcote of 1900. Lean-to vestry with coped walls and a 2-light west window with cusped pointed-arched lights with almost straight shanks. Tall thin ashlar bellcote with diamond plan angle piers, a small pitched plain tile roof and lead spike. Twin arched bell-openings. Chamfered round-arched south doorway. Plain interior with rendered walls. Double chamfered tower arch. Nave roof with cambered tie beams. In the north and south walls are several corbels from the earlier roof. At the east end of the nave is the octagonal stone bowl of a font. At the west end of the nave a small font with octagonal bowl and base. Three charity boards dated 1765. C14 double chamfered chancel arch on damaged moulded capitals.

Listing NGR: SK1811842674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 81388

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing